Stalls Out, Won't Start for a Period of Time

Soonerbayliner

Recruit
My first inboard/Outdrive boat, it's a 2001 Bayliner Capri 1950 with a Mercruiser 3.0. I recently took it out and after about 10 minutes on the water it stalled out. After about an hour, it started again for about 10 minutes and stalled out again for about the same amount of time. The fuel pump is fairly new. It idles in the water with no issues. Any suggestions where to start?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stalls Out, Won't Start for a Period of Time

might be a fuel restriction. try running on a remote tank . If it now runs ok, check the anti-syphon valve at the tank, clogged/restricted fuel filter, clogged tank vent.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer

when you have the stall issue check and see if you have spark.... If you have spark then you know its a fuel issue.

Fun Times

Staff member

Hi there, welcome to iboats!:) When does it stall, going into/out of gear, at idle, on acceleration, at cruise speed or full throttle? Can you describe how it stalls?

Last edited:

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

Sooner, my experience with similar issues leads me to thinking it is ignition related due to heat. Check the temp of the ignition coil if accessable.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As stated above...what do you lose when it dies? Fuel or spark. If spark, touch the case of the coil with the BACK of your finger and see if it's hot. Typical coil symptoms. If fuel, check vent, anti siphon, and pick up tube/crap in tank..

Soonerbayliner

Recruit

I have spark, fuel all the way to carb, runs fine at dock, about 10-15 minutes driving on lake it cuts out and won't start for a period of time, usually about an hour.

Last edited:

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

is your temp gage working?

Soonerbayliner

Recruit

Yes and holds at about 175. Will run unlimited while idling.

Bondo

Staff member

I have spark, fuel all the way to carb, runs fine at dock, about 10-15 minutes driving on lake it cuts out and won't start for a period of time, usually about an hour.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Durin' that hour,... is there Spark at the spark plugs,..??

Is there Power at the coil's (+) post,..??

Is there gas in the intake,..??

Soonerbayliner

Recruit

Can the gas tank be too full? I believe when I accelerate, the gas is being forced to the rear and filling up the vent house. Could this cause my issue?

Maclin

Admiral

If you think it is the vent hose then just remove the fuel fill cap to allow venting then replace and see if that makes a difference.

Bondo

Staff member

Yes, spark and fuel during the non-running hour.

Ayuh,.... Considerin' it takes 4 things for a motor to Run,... You'll have to Check each, durin' the dead time,....

Fuel,..... Fire,..... Compression,.... 'n All at the right Time,....

Compression, 'n Timin' don't fit yer symptoms, so Fuel 'n Fire are what's left,....

cr2k

Captain

Does it have spark when it dies? If no you need a coil.

airshot

Rear Admiral

I have a 3.0 myself and it barely gets past 130 degrees even after many new thermostats. Have you checked you temp gage, 175 sounds high but your gage could be off, then again it could be off the other way and you might be overheating. From your description I don't think it is a heat problem but that 175 does bother me a little.

79Renken

Seaman Apprentice

I had a similar issue last year and it turned out to be the ignition coil. Ran fine in the driveway on the muffs, would run fine for a short time on the lake and then cut out. Make sure when it dies out you still have spark.

Good luck.