Throttle lever is not moving smooth

Bullrider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1995 Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha1. The throttle has a slight grind like rough metal on metal when I rotate it forward and back. I can hear it too. I have taken this assembly out and looked at it but have not totally disassembled it yet.
I was wondering if a blast of graphite powder, a soaking of Fluid Film, or a dousing of Silicone lube would be an ok first attempt. I didnt notice a locking screw to adjust the drag so I assume there isnt one for that year.
I have looked for a diagram to totally tear this thing apart but have not found one yet.
Anyone experienced with similar grinding issue and a fix for that year assembly?
Thank you all for your great help!

Pete104

Lieutenant
Re: Throttle lever is not moving smooth

Is this control in fact a Merc item?

There are several other manufacturers of controls. Regardless of who made it, your probably needing cables instead of a control box.

Don't give it a bath in any slop snake oil or dry lube!!! Disconnect the cables (at the engine) and see what happens. If still difficult and not smooth & easy, disconnect cables at the control and feel it!

rad1026

Chief Petty Officer

How strange, I am having the same issue. Let me know what you discover.

cr2k

Captain

White grease is best for the control box. They do need love from time to time. But do be sure there is not another problem like stiff cables.

Bullrider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

White grease is best for the control box. They do need love from time to time. But do be sure there is not another problem like stiff cables.

I will tear in to it when life slows down a bit. Thank you for the input. When I cycle the lever back and forth I hear a grind as if a set screw is dragging on metal. The action at the engine is well lubed and smooth. It does not seem yet like a cable issue, but I could be wrong.

Bullrider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I finally tore into this and found the cables are fine. The control box was dry with metal grinding metal. The grease from 1995 didnt hold on quite long enough. A little lube made things much better.
Thank you all for your input!
Cheers