Lower unit service perhaps done incorrectly, need advice

eavega

Lieutenant
Okay, so this was my first attempt at doing service on my Alpha 1 outdrive. I thought I had done everything correctly (waterpump replaced, remembered the quad ring, greased u-joint bearings, checked the gimbal bearing for function, etc), used a new gasket on the bell housing, reassembled the whole thing.

Today, Reading another post on the forum, I saw the recommendation that the rubber ring that goes inside the bell housing should be glued in. When I reassembled and reattached the outdrive, I secured the rubber o-ring in place the same way I secured the water passage o-ring - used some grease to hold it in place.

Like I said, everything came back together after a bit of effort (after a couple of false starts, then an attempt to line up the splines on the shaft I managed to get it back together enough to get the nuts threaded on, and I tightened those evenly until the drive popped all the way in).

Now after reading about gluing in the big rubber o-ring and if that is not in its proper position, it may leak water and ruin the u-joints I am worried that it may have not come together correctly. Is there a way short of removing the outdrive again to verify that the ring seated correctly? Would the grease have been sufficient to hold the big rubber o-ring in place?

Thanks for your observations.

Rgds

Eric

Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Lower unit service perhaps done incorrectly, need advice

I do not believe there is. Maybe, maybe not. If the ring slipped out of place you might not have felt it when you bolted the outdrive on. The only way I can think of to check is pull the outdrive back and take a look. Drives ya nuts doesn't it?:confused:

Last edited:

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It should be glued. gotta do the same thing .I have been told if your housing gasket and your shift shaft bushing keep water out your cool but its easy to pull,thts what im doin. New ss bush while im at it.

Bondo

Staff member

Okay, so this was my first attempt at doing service on my Alpha 1 outdrive. I thought I had done everything correctly (waterpump replaced, remembered the quad ring, greased u-joint bearings, checked the gimbal bearing for function, etc), used a new gasket on the bell housing, reassembled the whole thing.

Today, Reading another post on the forum, I saw the recommendation that the rubber ring that goes inside the bell housing should be glued in. When I reassembled and reattached the outdrive, I secured the rubber o-ring in place the same way I secured the water passage o-ring - used some grease to hold it in place.

Like I said, everything came back together after a bit of effort (after a couple of false starts, then an attempt to line up the splines on the shaft I managed to get it back together enough to get the nuts threaded on, and I tightened those evenly until the drive popped all the way in).

Now after reading about gluing in the big rubber o-ring and if that is not in its proper position, it may leak water and ruin the u-joints I am worried that it may have not come together correctly. Is there a way short of removing the outdrive again to verify that the ring seated correctly? Would the grease have been sufficient to hold the big rubber o-ring in place?

Thanks for your observations.

Rgds

Eric

Ayuh,.... I only use Grease myself,....
Don always insisted on Glue, but I've never ever had a problem with just Grease,...
Bellows adhesive ain't normally in My toolbox, Grease Is,...

However,.... The fact that ya ran it in on the Nuts,.... Is Disturbing,....

That's not a clean install, 'n it's Gotta come off, to see Why,...
It Coulda just been the o-rings gettin' into the gimbal bearin',...
Did ya Grease the splines, 'n o-rings on the input shaft,..??
Was the shifter shoe/ foot lined up,..?? does it now shift properly,..??

When faced with that situation, the o-ring bindin', I'll give it a 'ell of a Mule Kick to drive it home,...
If it Don't Go,...
Pull it, 'n see Why,...

Speakin' of Grease, did ya grease the top spline on the lower unit,..??

UncleWillie

Captain

I use the grease method on both the Water and the Oil (Gen2) O-Rings.
The Glue/Grease is an assembly aid. They serve no purpose once assembled.

Get the two halves close together and pointing in the right direction with the splines aligned, take a final peek at the rings through the gap, then close it up.
If that Water O-Ring were out of place it should have become obvious because, unless it fell out completely, you would not have been able to get the cases to seat on the Gasket without EXTREME cranking on the Case Nuts! It would not have "Popped Together".

Half the fun of doing it yourself is that you get to second guess everything that you did.
I have 23 cents that says the O-Ring is in place. :joyous:

Last edited:

wrench 3

Commander

I never glue them myself and I've never disassembled one that had been glued. As long as the ring was in place on the housing retaining nut when it went out of sight, it should be fine.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The project boat I am working on now was a mess when I removed the outdrive. Whoever installed the outdrive last did not glue the big rubber ring in place, and it slipped and got caught when the owner installed the drive. It was full of water and ruined the transom assembly. (Salt water does that! :eek:).

I wonder if some of the above posts are referring to the same "o-ring."

I simply use grease on the water inlet O-ring, but glue the big one in. I too would recommend removing the drive and checking... for peace of mind if nothing else.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

By the way... here's what the gimbal bearing, etc looked like when I removed the bell housing:

(Not a pretty sight!)

2014-01-20170721_zps38a747fc.jpg

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Never glued/never lost one! As long as it's going together smooth and straight,it should be fine. I've had enough of 'em apart that have been glued,takes alot more time to clean 'em back up for proper assembly. I'd double check your's anyway,if just to remove all doubt.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

As long as the ring was in place on the housing retaining nut when it went out of sight, it should be fine.

It is interesting to hear of the differing methods and tips used. I have never seen (or done) installation by putting the ring on the retaining nut first... Method I am used to is to put the ring fully seated in the barrel (lightly glued to hold in place) and then insert the drive. Never had a problem that way. I guess what ever floats your boat (literally!!):D

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I think you have bigger issues. It look like there is no lip for the boot in the area of 5:00 and 8:00 . just corroded away from the water in the boot.
Might be looking for a new/replacement housing.

eavega

Lieutenant

In the end, I couldn't get it out of my head, and I pulled the drive. Don't know if the rubber ring was in position, since it came out with the outdrive.

Ayuh,.... I only use Grease myself,....
Don always insisted on Glue, but I've never ever had a problem with just Grease,...
Bellows adhesive ain't normally in My toolbox, Grease Is,...

I did use adhesive to secure the rubber ring. Just didn't want to worry about it again.

However,.... The fact that ya ran it in on the Nuts,.... Is Disturbing,....

That's not a clean install, 'n it's Gotta come off, to see Why,...
It Coulda just been the o-rings gettin' into the gimbal bearin',...

That concerned me, a little too. I did watch achris' video, and he warns about getting grease on the shaft o-rings making reassembly difficult. Since everything looked good when it came out, I suspect I got grease on there and that was the issue.
Did ya Grease the splines, 'n o-rings on the input shaft,..??
Was the shifter shoe/ foot lined up,..?? does it now shift properly,..??

Yes, yes, yes. Both times. Now reassembled, shifting works as expected. Regreased the splines a little grease on the o-rings. This time the outdrive came on all the way. No need to run it on the nuts

When faced with that situation, the o-ring bindin', I'll give it a 'ell of a Mule Kick to drive it home,...
If it Don't Go,...
Pull it, 'n see Why,...

Speakin' of Grease, did ya grease the top spline on the lower unit,..??

Yup. Greased up everything before reassembly.

Thank you all for the words of wisdom.

Rgds

Eric

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I think you have bigger issues. It look like there is no lip for the boot in the area of 5:00 and 8:00 . just corroded away from the water in the boot.
Might be looking for a new/replacement housing.

I don't mean to get off topic too much... but yes, you are right. I ended up buying a new (used) transom assembly. I was simply pointing out the damage that can be done if the ring slips or gets knocked out of place upon assembly.

wrench 3

Commander

It is interesting to hear of the differing methods and tips used. I have never seen (or done) installation by putting the ring on the retaining nut first... Method I am used to is to put the ring fully seated in the barrel (lightly glued to hold in place) and then insert the drive. Never had a problem that way. I guess what ever floats your boat (literally!!):D

I could never get it to stay in place that way (probably because I didn't use glue). And I worried about it getting pushed on in too far when the drive went in.