gimble ring removal

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an 898 outdrive, how do I get the lower pin out? does it go down or up into housing? I tried to read manual but I get a black screen . how does the steering arm and upper com out? and last how do I get the gimble bearing out? does it have to turn or just drive out?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: gimble ring removal

depending on the corrosion factor, you remove the cotter pin and drive it downward
your best way is to remove the housing from the boat.loosen the upper nut, loosen steering arm pinch bolt, remove upper pin ,slide out arm.
gimbal bearing is removed with a slide hammer puller or threaded rod puller, axel puller, etc.

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

thank you! the lower pin comes out the bottom. its pretty corroded out drive the mechanics were new inside so im cleaning repairing and resealing. shift cable housing broke so ill get one. but im sure ill get it all apart soon. the cleaning and painting is easy....bellows uhg lol . I just wanted to check gimble bearing removal the carrier has corrosion holes on it and bearing is toast. I see no clip so ill soak it and pull it out. so there is a hole from gimble area that goes into the bilge it had a left hand thread bolt shoved in it.....nothing goes in it right

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Woah there partner! Why are you removing the gimbal ring? You did not mention anything that indicates the ring is worn. The gimbal ring has nothing to do with the gimbal bearing, two very different things. Removing the gimbal ring is a huge PITA and a lot of work, and is NOT necessary for either the bellows repair or gimbal bearing replacement. Usually the only time you remove the gimbal ring is to replace it. Is that what you are planning? Better be sure you know what you are doing before going any further!

Last edited:

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

im removing it for repair and corrosion . all that's left are the lower and upper pins. it needs a full teardown for protection. im more than capable. the senders had rotten wires. the drive got tore down also. inner parts on lower were as new upper 1 bearing is a touch dark. no wear on gears even. I will get some photos up to show why im doing it. I want to reseal and check the roller bearings. I figure that a good resistant paint like im using should extend the life quite awhile.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

My advice would be: If the ring turns freely just lube the upper and lower bearings and paint it in place. If you feel you must remove it there are only two ways. Remove the gimbal housing from the boat and disassemble or drill large holes in the upper part of the gimbal housing, use a cold chisel to remove the upper swivel shaft nut, remove the clamping bolt and pull the upper swivel pin down and out. For the bottom pin you need to either pull or drill out the cotter pin then drive the shaft down and out. If it is as corroded as you say that could be a very difficult to do. Be careful, if you try to use too much force you can break the casting that the shaft goes through. Good luck.

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

1395952325099.jpg1395952333938.jpg1395370879134.jpg1395952349612.jpg I hope picts come through. I should have said the drive is off and apart. im going to warm up the areas and oil them . the cotter pin came out fine I wasn't sure how the pin came out. the forward trim cyl shaft is stuck to....nothing has fought to much just need the right directions on how it comes apart

jeffpolar

Recruit

If your steering arm has play when everything is tight ( lower unit moves right and left before the wheel responds ) JR marine makes a real nice kit to remove the gimble ring without pulling motor, or transom. and he can repair the square hole for the pin and the shoes on the bottom, very reasonable and excellent work ! I have done it and it does not weaken the housing

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

seems to be very tight on steering....I think the boat sat moored and rotted away

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Gimbel ring removal

Re: Gimbel ring removal

I thing the OP is doing it the correct way.
Get it completely apart. Remove what you can of the corrosion.
If you do not have access to a Bead Blaster, A Blast shop could do everything in less than an hour.
That will get you down to pristine metal without all the elbow grease. It gets into and cleans all the pits easily.
Put a coat of Zinc Chromate Primer on it before putting the Black back on.

Last edited:

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

its walnut shell blasted, then coated with a dtm primer. better corrosion resistance and it fills incredibly. primer hooked up well on aluminum. filled in a few pits and blocked and primed. now ready for black. still have all the parts to catch up. there is no way to not tear it apart to clean it all up

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok got it all apart except for forward cylinder mount and removing seals and bearings tom. had to warm up the pins a little but they came out. needs a lower pin to much pitting between the castings. I can see why people would caution me its not for inexperienced people. as with most boat stuff it takes a tender hand. so the upper pin has a few pit marks from roller bearings but I haven't cleaned up the thing yet. the square looks good in both sides. if it has a few pits im thinking it will be ok its not high rpm. steering arm is mint tight clean splines. got gimble bearing out only seal left for tom. then next tear down trim cylinders for paint and rebuild. I have a few small parts to dig out to blast but getting all ready so I can paint and put it back together.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Fun huh? Just a couple of things. Before you put it all back together make sure that the square of the upper pin fits snugly in the square of the ring. Put the pin in and tighten the two bolts to make sure they clamp the square shaft with no play. You should not have to torque it all the way to 55# but just enough to make sure it is secure. That is the wear point of the ring and must be kept tight. Retorque the bolts every spring. Don't worry too much about that seal behind the gimbal bearing, it does not do much, mostly just keeps the grease from the bearing from migrating into the engine bay. If it is in decent shape you can reuse it. If you used a sealed bearing it is even less important. Glad it is working out.

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

ill check the square fit for sure....ill change out the roller bearings and seals before assy. so are mercruiser parts made by them or by sierras supplier? bearings I can supply from timkin or napa or order real mercruiser through here im wondering about bellows don't want crap and have problems. same with gaskets. waste of money if bellows fail

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am going through a similar process right now on a bravo drive, and would recommend Mercruiser parts. The exception being any standard roller bearings which probably have a Timken part number on them anyway. I learned a long time a go while working on my cars that not all aftermarket parts are created equal. I made a purchase yesterday :eek: and boy do these parts add up fast :eek:. Good luck.

jeffpolar

Recruit

ill check the square fit for sure....ill change out the roller bearings and seals before assy. so are mercruiser parts made by them or by sierras supplier? bearings I can supply from timkin or napa or order real mercruiser through here im wondering about bellows don't want crap and have problems. same with gaskets. waste of money if bellows fail

JR Marine makes the kit themselves , they also make a super strong pin and U bolt from a better alloy stainless. they can completely weld up the square hole and re-machine the hole to factory spec . looks and performs like factory new ring !

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

I checked out jr nice stuff, my stuff appears to be ok, just have a few bearings to pull and to blasters

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok the only bearing left is the small roller bearing on the top for the pin and the forward mount for the trim cylinders. im afraid the big pin may not come out I have heated and soaked with oil. other than that im ready for some primer and a little pit work. how do you pull the upper bearing and seal......my slide hammer is to short so I may have to make an extension