How important is this o-ring?

Flyboy42880

Cadet
Hi Everyone,

First time poster, long time reader. Great info on this site, so thanks for that.

Now before you jump all over me how important o-rings usually are, I know, not sure this one is that important...
I have a 96 Celebrity 19' runabout with a 5.7 liter 350. It has a Merc Alpha 1, Gen 2 I/O. My Dad and I just fininshed some needed work when I found this left over o-ring. We replaced the gimbal ring, gimbal bearing, bellows, water pump, trim senders etc... Big job and thought we tackled everything properly by reading (most) of the manuals.

As I went through the manuals trying to find where this o-ring was supposed to go, I found where we neglected to install it. It goes in between the bell housing and outdrive where the water output line mates... My Dad did all the gasket cleaning, so therefor was responsible for remembering how it was supposed to go back together! Its all his fault, lol. Anyway, I digress. Neither of us remember one being there. Is it that important enough to tear it back down to install?

Thanks in advance,
Brinton

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: How important is this o-ring?

Sorry to say that you do need it in there, carefully loosen the nuts, back if off about 3/8ths of an inch and insert it.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Hi Everyone,

First time poster, long time reader. Great info on this site, so thanks for that.

Now before you jump all over me how important o-rings usually are, I know, not sure this one is that important...
I have a 96 Celebrity 19' runabout with a 5.7 liter 350. It has a Merc Alpha 1, Gen 2 I/O. My Dad and I just fininshed some needed work when I found this left over o-ring. We replaced the gimbal ring, gimbal bearing, bellows, water pump, trim senders etc... Big job and thought we tackled everything properly by reading (most) of the manuals.

As I went through the manuals trying to find where this o-ring was supposed to go, I found where we neglected to install it. It goes in between the bell housing and outdrive where the water output line mates... My Dad did all the gasket cleaning, so therefor was responsible for remembering how it was supposed to go back together! Its all his fault, lol. Anyway, I digress. Neither of us remember one being there. Is it that important enough to tear it back down to install?

Thanks in advance,
Brinton

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... It Sure Is,... Very important,...

Like BD says, just slide the drive back enough to get it in-place,...

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Wait just a second there. Aren't you supposed to have parts left over after rebuilding anything? :facepalm:

Seriously, I would heed the words of the above commenters. They certainly know there stuff...

Flyboy42880

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... It Sure Is,... Very important,...

Like BD says, just slide the drive back enough to get it in-place,...

And then it falls down into the exhaust when I try and tighten it all back up! Should have put some goop on it to hold it in place... That would have been a pretty easy fix! Off comes the lower unit again...:facepalm:

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Glue the big oring in place,thats why I have to pull mine again

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I just use a gob of grease to hold it, til I slide the drive on,...

thumpar

Admiral

I use grease also. By the time I get to that point I usually have it on my hands anyway.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If you're doing it by the book, the big rubber ring must be glued in place. The bell-housing gasket goes on dry, and a little grease is used to hold the water passage 'O' ring in place while the drive is slid on....

Flyboy42880

Cadet

I was actually able to fish the o-ring out with some safety wire on the second try! Last ditch effort before I pulled the lower unit off. Used some grease to hold in place this time, and tightened drive back up. All is well again! Thanks again for the input.