Which type tilt trim pump needed for 1980 898 sterndrive?

rwraces

Cadet
I need a little help figuring out which pump system to buy.
I am installing a 1980 898 (305) mercruiser unit from a boat I picked up as a donor (bought an old Fiberform Cruiser with an OMC stringer in it that was frozen, including outdrive, so rather than start fixing that I decided to go mercruiser like a lot of other folks seem to do) - so I found a boat with non running engine, but had all the pieces to put a fresh engine in.
The problem is, the donor boat was missing the TT pump system, so I don't have a reference to figure out which type (high pressure or low pressure...) to purchase.
Hope this is an easy question for the experts to answer!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Which type tilt trim pump needed for 1980 898 sterndrive?

Which trim cylinders do you have? Post a photo if you can.

Bondo

Staff member

This link will take you to folder with bunch of pictures of the engine and outdrive. I took them before pulling it out of donor boat.
Thanks for looking...
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8zc8gd51rgc6ptu/kG1M-b862_ copy and paste it

Ayuh,.... You can go to the newest trim pump with the plastic tank, by ditchin' All of the return pipin', 'n valving that's there, 'n use the single new style hose to the manifold on the transom housin',...

rwraces

Cadet

Ayuh,.... You can go to the newest trim pump with the plastic tank, by ditchin' All of the return pipin', 'n valving that's there, 'n use the single new style hose to the manifold on the transom housin',...

DSCF4337.jpg
1st of all - Thanks for your reply!
I am not sure I understand that concept. In the picture above, there are two circuits. Are you saying on the new stuff there is only one circuit? If so, what do you do with the other one, vent it? If not vented (plugged) it seems it would air lock the cylinders and not allow movement.?
Do you have a picture showing new arrangement, or a link I can go look at?

Bondo

Staff member

View attachment 226753
I am not sure I understand that concept. In the picture above, there are two circuits. Are you saying on the new stuff there is only one circuit? If so, what do you do with the other one, vent it? If not vented (plugged) it seems it would air lock the cylinders and not allow movement.?

Ayuh,.... On the Other side of that manifold, you leave the current Down hose, 'n replace the old return stuff, with a new return hose,...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

View attachment 226753

No, nothing on the outside of the boat changes. What my learned friend is referring to is all the reverse lockout valving on the inside of the boat. The early pumps didn't have an internal reverse lock, the new ones do, so you don't need all the bumf for reverse lockout. Just ditch it and run the 2 hoses on the inside of the transom (from the bottom of the gimbal housing) up to the UP and DOWN side of the new pump.

rwraces

Cadet

Sounds great! So, with the newer pumps - is there no high or low pressure, or high and low flow difference to worry about?
How about end fittings - are they the same for the new pumps as my hose ends, or will I need adapters or new hoses?
I really appreciate you guys taking time to help out!
Bondo - I looked up Chaumont River, Ny. You're damn near a Canadian! Looks like a beautiful area. Lots of water = lots of boats...

Bondo

Staff member

Sounds great! So, with the newer pumps - is there no high or low pressure, or high and low flow difference to worry about?
How about end fittings - are they the same for the new pumps as my hose ends, or will I need adapters or new hoses?
I really appreciate you guys taking time to help out!
Bondo - I looked up Chaumont River, Ny. You're damn near a Canadian! Looks like a beautiful area. Lots of water = lots of boats...

Ayuh,.... The new hose, Should just screw into the manifold, 'n pump,...

Ya, Canadah is only a stones throw away,...

rwraces

Cadet

So, when you say to use the new style pumps that don't require the lockout, from what year forward does this apply. IE: If I was to look up a pump assembly for 1990, is that new enough? That's just a wild stab at it, since I really have no idea when they changed. At least I know the difference now though - thanks to you guys!
And, I will be more than happy to get rid of some of that unneeded stuff. The less the better. Clutter clutter...
I have looked at some pumps online and it is amazing the price range - anywhere from 189.00 to 5 or 600.00, so of course I am looking at some in the lower price range and wondering if they have the built in lockout. Once I know what years have it on OEM I can do some cross reference I think.
Still wondering if I need a pump considered high pressure/low flow, or low pressure/high flow, so any additional insight would be greatly appreciated.