Mech. Timing Advance

mtsinner7868

Cadet
What the heck is every one doing to replace the mechanical advance springs in their distributors on older motors ? Or am I the only one that missed out on buying special springs that last forever ? Going crazy trying to find a couple springs for this 1971 888 with an Autolite distributor (motor s/n 3110139). And where can I find the timing curve for this Ford 302 ? The timing curve service bulletin posted many times only has the GM motors Merc used..... no Ford. And didn't see it in the service manual ignition section either.

I guess if I had the curve I could experiment with springs until I got it pretty close !

I know I can change out the dizzy to one of those fancy $500 ALL electronic jobs...... Absolute last resort only and probably wont do it even then. Any help/suggestions finding these springs or some kind of reasonable alternative will save my sanity at this point :faint2:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mech. Timing Advance

What the heck is every one doing to replace the mechanical advance springs in their distributors on older motors ? Or am I the only one that missed out on buying special springs that last forever ? Going crazy trying to find a couple springs for this 1971 888 with an Autolite distributor (motor s/n 3110139). And where can I find the timing curve for this Ford 302 ? The timing curve service bulletin posted many times only has the GM motors Merc used..... no Ford. And didn't see it in the service manual ignition section either.

I guess if I had the curve I could experiment with springs until I got it pretty close !

I know I can change out the dizzy to one of those fancy $500 ALL electronic jobs...... Absolute last resort only and probably wont do it even then. Any help/suggestions finding these springs or some kind of reasonable alternative will save my sanity at this point :faint2:

Ayuh,.... ebay, 'n craigslist for used distributors,....

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I haven't found a Merc number for the springs (appear they don't sell them separately), but I did find a timing curve for you...

HTH,

Chris......

attachment.php

Attachments

• 888 curve.jpg
    888 curve.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 0

mtsinner7868

Cadet

Thanks guys..... BIG help ! I'll scour the net and local territory for some parts to experiment with until I get it within range. That chart indeed saved my sanity right there. Very frustrating not being able to find it somewhere on the net myself. Thank you sir !

MikDee

Banned

Speed shops sell spring kits for distributors, maybe you can find springs in there to match, or come close.

mtsinner7868

Cadet

Picked up a spring kit from Oreilly's. So far a couple of the springs in it has the curve on the upper end of the range on the muffs....... we'll see what it looks like with a load on her in the next day or so ! Guessing its gonna end up on the low end of the range the way I'm seeing things so far if my logic is correct :noidea::

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Load on the engine should not change load on the springs or curve. If it's at the upper end on muffs, it'll be at the upper end under load.

If you're concerned about it, reduce the weight of the weights. (Less weight needs a higher speed to fly out the same distance, reducing the advance slightly.)

Chris.......

Last edited:

mtsinner7868

Cadet

Ain't concerned with it one bit. She'll stay just the way she is then. Gone fishing....... shortly !