First engine start of the spring? tips?

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Finally had a 45 degree day in the north east!! woohoo... most of the snow is gone.. I pulled the full cover tarp off, unsnapped the cover and jumped in the other day, opened the dog house and took a look at the engine...I went with the "air dont freeze" winterization method last Oct.. nothing busted, bulging, plugs in place.. looked same as I left it.

I changed engine oil in Oct, drive oil, the gas was alway treated last year anyway, I dumped more in for that last start up and shut down last fall. Suppose to get in 50's soon, was gonna try to fire it up.. any tips outside of making sure battery is charged?? choke it good, and fire it up? think pulling hose and filling with hot water would help warm things up? thanks all..

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: First engine start of the spring? tips?

I wouldn't bother starting it until you are certain that nighttime temps are going to stay above freezing. Otherwise you'll be at risk of having to winterize it again, at least from a block-draining standpoint. In any case, don't bother with hot water, it wouldn't make any difference to the engine. If anything, pull the spark plugs and shoot some WD-40 or similar in each cylinder to make sure the cylinders have some start-up lubrication. Other than that, crank it in 5-7 second bursts (and allow to sit for a bit to avoid burning up the starter) 'til it fires up (choke likely needed).

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

10-4 thanks,,, next week "suppose to" be above freezing at night.........this winter wont go away! 18 outside now...

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... It usually takes a few cranks on the starter for the fuel pump to prime the carb,...
By then the oil pump is movin' oil about,... 'n the impeller is movin' water,...
Give the throttle a couple of pumps, 'n it oughta light right off,...

No need to prime the water, the impeller will do it off the muffs,...

'course, this is all covered in Don'S Summerization thread in the Adults Only section,....

Atleast now ya know how to drain it, so lightin' it off ain't no big deal,...
You can play with it, 'n put it back to bed, for Nothin' but a few minutes time,..... ;)

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

thanks Bondo.. as another suggested, taking spark plugs out and spraying in some WD-40 before first crank attempt.. I've got that, and fogging oil too. would the fogging oil be a better choice to spray a little in there?

ziggy

Admiral

Don S' thread pretty much covers it.
w/o reading it again. i think he talks about cleaning connections. ie, batt connections clean and shinny, both sides of both cables, coil connections, ground connections, etc) i usually do this prior to first start up. after i'm sure it's gonna run, i give mine a minor tuneup. plugs, rotor (sometimes a cap too) points, condenser etc. then set my engine to dwell and timing specs.
so far this procedure has worked well and i've not had problems during the season. well, short of the time i didn't put the cap back on tight and the rotor got bent...:facepalm::facepalm:

haulnazz15

Captain

Using fogging oil vs WD40 is a wash. Either will work for what you are doing, it will be cleared out of the cylinder after the first dozen piston cycles anyway, and the oil pump should be primed by then.

ziggy

Admiral

the attachment is for my '75 165hp mercuriser. don't know what the op has for an engine (go here to find out what the oem service manual says for your application for return to service). if ya've done your winterization, which in my case included 1 oz of motor oil in ea. cyl. i use what the service manual says to do. which isn't much.
i just start mine up (after complying with the s/m), if it will.

Attachments

• returning engine to service.JPG
    returning engine to service.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 0

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

thanks zig.. probably gonna pull the plugs and inspect,, then blast a bit of fogging oil in there,,,, fire it up.... it had plugs, cap, wires, impeller, carb cleaning and adj last summer...... it's been sleeping for 6 months :D... want to wake her gently....