cracked bell housing

joven2324

Cadet
hi, I have a mercruiser alpha one 4.3l and I noticed that there is a cracked on top
of the bell housing itself (top of the helmet like) . it is 1 inch long and I'am wondering if I can still use it without causing any damage in the engine. can I use epoxy or weld it ? pls I need a professional advice.thanks

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: cracked bell housing

Hi there, have you pulled the drive off to see if the damage went all the way through? A cracked bell housing could be considered very dangerous as once it starts to open up/split in half the drive could fall partially off the boat and you will in turn lose all steering control. Also you need to see if there is water inside the U-Joint bellows.

Have any photos to help give us a better idea of what your working with?

Last edited:

kd7isf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi there, have you pulled the drive off to see if the damage went all the way through? A cracked bell housing could be considered very dangerous as once it starts to open up/split in half the drive could fall partially off the boat and you will in turn lose all steering control. Also you need to see if there is water inside the U-Joint bellows.

Have any photos to help give us a better idea of what your working with?

Umm really?

Howabout we talk about the part the OP refered to (the BELL housing, NOT the GIMBAL housing)....

The only real way to determine the extent of the damage would be to remove the drive and then pull the engine out...
Luckily, the bell is a seperate, bolt on piece and a replacement can be acquried via salvage channels relitively inexpensively..

That said, while major damage WILL result to the drive if the bell fails (since the drive is inserted through the bell and into the crank adapter) the DRIVE will NOT fall off as it hangs on the TRANSOM plate.
The bell supports only the back end of the engine....
Beyond that it serves as a dust/debree cover for the flywheel and the drive adapter...

Hope this helps!

JustJason

Vice Admiral

KD7isf said:
Umm really?

Howabout we talk about the part the OP refered to (the BELL housing, NOT the GIMBAL housing)....

The only real way to determine the extent of the damage would be to remove the drive and then pull the engine out...
Luckily, the bell is a seperate, bolt on piece and a replacement can be acquried via salvage channels relitively inexpensively..

That said, while major damage WILL result to the drive if the bell fails (since the drive is inserted through the bell and into the crank adapter) the DRIVE will NOT fall off as it hangs on the TRANSOM plate.
The bell supports only the back end of the engine....
Beyond that it serves as a dust/debree cover for the flywheel and the drive adapter...

Hope this helps!

Before you jump to unnecessary conclusions have a look at this picture.

fodFaCg.png

#1 in that picture is in fact called a "bell housing"

If your going to jump in and give advice to folks, try and make it a point to have that advice be correct. These are boats, not cars, names of parts are not going to be the same as what they might be in a car.

Last edited:

kd7isf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do not see a picture.. The part you talk about IS sometimes called a bell housing, however, GIMBAL housing is the correct name for it.. (Thus why its called a GIMBAL bearing and NOT a BELL bearing)

Either way, before we can go much further, we need the OP to give us a picture of which part he is talking about......

Last edited:

JustJason

Vice Admiral

The gimbal housing is what is bolted to the back of the transom. The gimbal housing is what the gimbal bearing is punched into. The gimbal ring is attached to the gimbal housing via the upper and lower swivel pins. And then the "Bell housing" is attached to the gimbal ring via the left and right pivot pins. There are 3 different parts that make up the outer transom assembly (not including the actual sterndrive). And the bell housing has been called a bell housing since 1963 when it first came out. Here is a link to the very first one, it has not changed all that much in the last 50 years. It has always been called a bellhousing, not "sometimes"

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/Sho...FT+HOUSING+ASSEMBLY+AND+BELL+HOUSING+ASSEMBLY

Download yourself either manual #6 or #14 and familiarize yourself with the parts.

Last edited:

kd7isf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry -- learned on OMC stringers -- forgot there was a middle piece on mercs....
That said, I've worked on both and as I recall avoided using the term bell in relation to the drive for confusions sake.......

Regardless though, until the OP gives us a picture, we won't know which he is refering to for sure -- the one I refer to has also been called a bell housing since they built these drives........

JustJason

Vice Admiral

On a Mercriuser engine what you are talking about is properly named a "Flywheel Housing"

UncleWillie

Captain

hi, I have a mercruiser alpha one 4.3l and I noticed that there is a cracked on top
of the bell housing itself (top of the helmet like
) . it is 1 inch long and I'm wondering if I can still use it without causing any damage in the engine. can I use epoxy or weld it ? ...

In that case I think the OP means the "FlyWheel Housing" on the engine as was assumed in the first place, or was it the second place? :joyous:

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member

Hum, Maybe it is the engine flywheel housing in this case.:noidea: When I first read it, I read bell housing and the word helmet as well. On the Volvo AQ drive series, the top cover that covers some of the U-Joint bellow, is also called a helmet. So with those two thoughts put together, I referenced the transom assembly bell housing. As mentioned by us all, photos are definitely needed for verification as it could be either or.

Terminology:
http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-pent...ts-only-no-exceptions-468285.html#post3167114

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...er+Block(Flywheel+Housing+and+Rear+Main+Seal)

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I've noticed that the OP has apparently backed away and is probably LHAO. :lol:
This is quite the interesting, if not amusing and informative, diatribe.

joven2324

Cadet

thanks guys for the quick reply. its the bell housing that I am referring to. the #1 on the parts by just Jason. its on the top middle part of that. I don't have picture yet. but it's 1inch crack from top middle of the cap like of the bell housing.thanks again

joven2324

Cadet

and one thing more, if I need to change it where can I buy the use one. how can I determine that it's alpha one gen 1 or alpha one gen2?thanks again

Fun Times

Staff member

If I need to change it where can I buy the use one. how can I determine that it's alpha one gen 1 or alpha one gen2?thanks again
Typically one of the best ways to identify what engine, stern drive and transom assembly you have would be to locate the serial numbers of each item along with a general description of what you have and year if possible. If you cannot find the serial numbers, the year and photos should help.

Once you locate the part number, just do an online search using the part number and you should be able to find something new or used. Ebay is one of the most common places to find both new and used.

Inside this link you will find an area that will help guide you to your serial numbers. http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...cellaneous-mercruiser-information-329915.html

Hope this helps, good luck!:)

UncleWillie

Captain

...How can I determine that it's alpha one gen 1 or alpha one gen2?...

The fastest way is to look at the Trim Cylinder Mount Bosses.

The Big Pin going through the Trim Cylinders is retained by C-Clips and Plastic Caps on the Type 2, The Type 1 uses Nuts.
The mounting Bosses for the trim cylinder are over 6 inches wide in the type 2, Closer to 4 inches in a Type 1.

Can someone measure their type 1 and report it?

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral

The Gen 2 skeg is swept back. The regular Alpha 1 has a vertical trailing edge on the skeg.

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Back to the original question. Can it be repaired ?

I would not try any kind of epoxy. If you know a good welder, they could probably take car of it.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I would also worry about what caused the bell housing to develop a crack and if repaired could it fail. Repairing something that could have been defective or damaged by an impact (ie: striking something like a dock while in rearward motion) isn't the best way IMHO. I would find a used replacement for sure, new your looking at 500 - 600 bucks. If your DIYing it, there are a couple special tools you'll need.