Lack of performance 3.0

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lack of performance 3.0

Well...if you are indeed hitting WOT rpm then that is a good start. I would think you should be able to still get a little better than 30 mph but again, it would be better to verify that by GPS rather than trust the gauge. If you get to the point where you are confident that everything is set up correctly, I would suggest getting some smart tabs. Installed them on my boat several years ago and they were the best investment I every made. Gained a little top end speed, boats hops right up on plane and got rid of my porpoising problem.

Lager

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wrench 3 ,good point. I know when I first bought the boat and just running it in yard, I noticed the switch was set incorrectly, because it was idling at almost 2k rpm and there was no way it was doing that.So, I adjusted it until the reading seemed right @800. Then I got the chance to actually run the boat on the lake and only came up with the 3k reading.Then I stuck a new tach on it and found the large difference in readings. Im gonna try and tweak the original tach, now that that I have something to compare it to.
Im pretty confident my actual rpm's are correct.
Concerning the speed, Im going to bring my GPS out with me next time and verify, but I betting im going faster then I thought I was.
I just wish the weather here in NC would co operate, Its supposed to somewhat warm here by now? It actually snowed here again today.
There is a lot of work to be done on this old boat and a lot of parts that need to be replaced. The guy I bought it from just ran it into the ground.. What I need are some nice days or evenings to get it ready.
Just noticed the hull is crusty and rough feeling, not salt water growth, just rough as can be and easily scrapped off with my fingernails.So, I have to clean the hull, but thats not fun when its 40 degrees outside. Im betting there is 2-3 mph in that hull after a good cleaning and polish. No sense in looking at a prop until that gets done.
BRG25, porpoising? Yeah I noticed that too. Was either bouncy or trimmed down till until it felt like the hull was plowing. There is an Attwood Hydro Stabilizer fin on the outdrive, Im assuming these fins give the motor more leverage to either raise or lower the hull. But I guess thats another subject that I might throw up comparing them to the smart tabs. Thanks for bringing it up.
Now, come on Mr Snow man, gimme a break and throw me some warm weather.

Lager

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Geez, I talk a lot. Wifey tells me I dont talk enough.
Sorry about that.

airshot

Rear Admiral

I would check the gear ratio on the outdrive, with its age it may have been replaced with what ever ratio was currently availiable. Your 3.0 should have the 1.98 ratio. It is not uncommon to replace an outdrive with the wrong ratio then sell the boat with a "new" outdrive.
Just for your info, I have a 22' aluminium Islander with the 3.0 140hp and she tops out at 34mph at 4500 rpm with a 19" prop.

wrench 3

Commander

Don't complain about your weather Lager. We've still got 8-12" of ice! 6*F this morning and I'm thinking it's warm because it's on the + side. I think this time last year the grass was starting to grow!