1988 Alpha One outdrive skeg broken off

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey guys, my donor boat's outdrive was liberated today and I removed a SS skeg guard. I found out why the PO put it on there. It wouldn't have been so bad if he had bought one that fit but there was a 1" gap at the top of it on leading edge so I pulled it to see what was underneath.

Looks to me like the bottom 3rd of the skeg was snapped off. I'm thinking the PO had bent the skeg and then tried to straighten it out which resulted in this little mishap. There's also a nasty notch knocked out of the trailing edge, looks like a set of vice grips ate it.

My question is what are my options now, buy a new skeg guard that fits, put the old one back on or???

Thanks,

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1988 Alpha One outdrive skeg broken off

I have a similar situation. For me, the skeg guard is working fine. The alternative is to have a new skeg welded on.

I'm told the main purpose of the skeg is to help protect the prop from bottom strikes. If that is the case, it seems a screw-on sacrificial skeg is the better solution anyway. Of course, the best option is to avoid strikes. But if it happens, I hope the skeg guard gives before braking the skeg off further.

If you keep your boat in the water with a skeg guard, you might want to watch for corrosion. I happen to trailer my boat, so I don't know if this is typically an issue.

If you put the skeg guard back on, use thread locker on the screws. I found they tend to work loose otherwise.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral

A prop shop can make it look like new if that is what you are looking for. My friend snapped his off completely on a ramp a few years ago. The prop shop fixed it and you couldn't tell it was ever damaged.

Watermann

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a prop shop here in my clearing in the sticks, it may well be a 400 mile drive to have the skeg repaired correctly at a shop.

alldodge

Staff member

Either way will work fine. As thumper mentioned, welding would look the best, but any good welding shop that knows how to weld aluminum could fix it.

thumpar

Admiral

Where abouts are you in E. Washington? There are many all over this side of the state.

Watermann

Closest would be in Wenatchee, about 100 miles from me so that would be 2 round trips.

I wouldn't want one of the local guys around here saying "hey boss I always wanted ta weld one of them" and fry out all my gear case seals.

Bondo

Staff member

Closest would be in Wenatchee, about 100 miles from me so that would be 2 round trips.

I wouldn't want one of the local guys around here saying "hey boss I always wanted ta weld one of them" and fry out all my gear case seals.

Ayuh,.... Most Prop Shops/ Weldin' Shops would want the Bare case to weld it up,....

Another way would be to submerge it in water, upside-down to draw the heat away,....

Or, the simplest answer is to just run it, As Is,....
No harm, No foul, just looks bad, 'n only on the wagon,...

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer

You can find a nearby weld shop and ask the to try and recreate the skeg and weld it on to your broken skeg with a piece of aluminum. Thats what my friend did and work well for him. The only thing is that since its not going to be one piece you wanna be careful if you hit a sandbar in the near future or something.

Watermann

Thanks for the replies, I'm not going to gut the case so it can be welded. So that leaves me with skeg guards or like Bondo suggests. I had thought about cutting the nasty jagged edge clean and running but wasn't sure about that being a problem. Just wish the PO would have bought a $100 skeg guard that fit, when I drained the gear oil it went right inside that guard and ran out the guard's bottom drain hole, what a mess.

Bondo

Staff member

I had thought about cutting the nasty jagged edge clean and running but wasn't sure about that being a problem.

Ayuh,... It Ain't,...

pjumper

Cadet

Mine broke off. I had it welded, it looked great. lasted a couple of trips then snapped off with the slightest touch, just drifting & casting, not underpower. exactly at the repair. Never bothered to get it fixed again. don't feel any difference with or without. has been that way for 3 years, I would just round off the sharp edges.