Clear Braided PVC Hose instead of black rubber hose

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Could you use the Clear Braided PVC Hose for the incoming water to the thermostat as a way to make sure water is flowing? or is that some sort of safety issue that requires black rubber?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Clear Braided PVC Hose instead of black rubber hose

No, that's not a problem. As long as the size is right, and it's the same (or better) temperature rating.... Actually a good idea...

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

cool. some of my hoses are getting old so I think I will swap them out. Any tips for getting the water intake tube from the transom back on the bell housing? It actually slipped off while riding the boat causing a slight over heat. Main reason why boat is all torn down atm.

achris

cool. some of my hoses are getting old so I think I will swap them out. Any tips for getting the water intake tube from the transom back on the bell housing? It actually slipped off while riding the boat causing a slight over heat. Main reason why boat is all torn down atm.

Yeah, that one can be a bit difficult. You do need to pull the drive and then remove the hinge pins to get around behind the bell-housing. It's a PITA....

BTW, don't understand the last part of your post....
Main reason why boat is all torn down atm.

Main reason why boat is all torn down Automatic Teller Machine.... Can't make sense of this.... :noidea:

Chris......

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

atm = At the moment. I pulled the drive and all due to the fact of the slight over heat. So re-did the water pump as in my other post and have to fix the water intake tube. Also putting a new carb on her. Hopefully she will run tip top when I move to the lake house in Georgia in about 12 days.

mtsinner7868

Cadet

No, that's not a problem. As long as the size is right, and it's the same (or better) temperature rating.... Actually a good idea...

And what temp does the incoming water actually get to ? Can't imagine it getting too much warmer than what the current lake temp would be correct ?

Last edited:

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mtsinner - I agree, maybe just slightly warmer due to outdrive temp. I believe the hose I mentioned has a maximum temp of around 150.

achris

And what temp does the incoming water actually get to ? Can't imagine it getting too much warmer than what the current lake temp would be correct ?

My reference was because that hose lays on the top of the engine, and that DOES get hot!

mtsinner7868

Cadet

Mtsinner - I agree, maybe just slightly warmer due to outdrive temp. I believe the hose I mentioned has a maximum temp of around 150.

I threw in a 1' chunk of clear from the hardware store on my water intake line. I need to know what is going on there for "piece of mind". And I know what I used isn't heater hose rated but my logic says overall out drive temp and the water tube ported through the exhaust may raise it a few degrees but not very many with the flow it has...... hope my logic is sound !?