Correct Timming for 5.7L

grewvin1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have twin 5.7L, 1987, ser# of one is OB741607. Have tied several sources to obtain the correct timming and have found both 10deg. and 8deg. BTC would like to know the correct or best setting for these engines.
thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Correct Timming for 5.7L

Have twin 5.7L, 1987, ser# of one is OB741607. Have tied several sources to obtain the correct timming and have found both 10deg. and 8deg. BTC would like to know the correct or best setting for these engines.
thanks.

Ayuh,... Go up to Don'S Adults Only section, follow the links, 'n download the manual for Yer motors,...

It'll tell ya what the timin's gotta be,...

Go by yer serial numbers,...

Walt T

Lieutenant

They do that on purpose to keep us boaters on our toes. Make us do a little averages math and set our timing at 9. The real anus clencher is when you see a couple of manuals telling you to figure timing by purchasing tool J54827 which is a freakin slide rule. Anybody remember those?

Bondo

Staff member

They do that on purpose to keep us boaters on our toes. Make us do a little averages math and set our timing at 9. The real anus clencher is when you see a couple of manuals telling you to figure timing by purchasing tool J54827 which is a freakin slide rule. Anybody remember those?

Ayuh,.... Ain't even seen one since 'bout 1973 or so,...

Luckily, electronic calculators came out 'bout that time,...
alittle late to save my high school math grades, but a 'ell of alot easier for a Non-mathamagician,..

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You mean one of these?

SlideRule.jpg

I remember using one at high school. Got to be quite good at it. I still have mine from those days.... Not sure if I could get any sense out of it now though....

Chris.....
BTW, the latest manual for your engine calls it out at 8 degrees BTW.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

thanks.

Question do you have efi or a carbed version...makes a difference...by the way the boy's are play'n here

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Question do you have efi or a carbed version...makes a difference...by the way the boy's are play'n here

First 350s with EFI came out in 1995... His are '87, so I would guess it's carbed (also by the serial number, it's carbed. ;))

Fun Times

Staff member

Hey there Gunner, Just so your up to speed.... besides the 320 efi made between 1987-1989, Marine fuel injected as we know it today did not start until early 1993 with the 502 efi then progressed slowly with other engine models thereafter. grewvin1 serial number says he has a 1987 260 HP carbureted. Edit: Chris beat me to it.:)

I'm with Walt, when in doubt set it to 9*;):)

Boatinfo - Mercruiser Service Manual nr. 9 - 1985-1988 - GM V8 Engines

Last edited:

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer

FWIW I've always set carb'd 5.7 marine motors to 8 degrees.. 10 seams too much IMO.. also, I have a slide rule in my toolbox at work :lol: not that i use it, but its funny to prank apprentices with...

grewvin1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Carb'ed 4 barrel Rochester, So 8deg BTC it is and I too have a slide rule to show the new young P.Eng engineers they are real screwed when looking at it. thanks to the gang. also will review Don's notes, God bless him.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

If you are running pump gas (E10) set it to 8 degrees before... If you are running 90 octane ethanol free recreational fuel you can set it to 10 if you want to. However, the power difference is negligible. You are really better off leaving it at 8, that way if you have any water/fuel issues your less likely to have detonation problems.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

First 350s with EFI came out in 1995... His are '87, so I would guess it's carbed (also by the serial number, it's carbed. ;))

Hey there Gunner, Just so your up to speed.... besides the 320 efi made between 1987-1989, Marine fuel injected as we know it today did not start until early 1993 with the 502 efi then progressed slowly with other engine models thereafter. grewvin1 serial number says he has a 1987 260 HP carbureted. Edit: Chris beat me to it.:)

I'm with Walt, when in doubt set it to 9*;):)

Boatinfo - Mercruiser Service Manual nr. 9 - 1985-1988 - GM V8 Engines

:gossip:..........
26.gif

Last edited:

agallant80

Commander

If you are running pump gas (E10) set it to 8 degrees before... If you are running 90 octane ethanol free recreational fuel you can set it to 10 if you want to. However, the power difference is negligible. You are really better off leaving it at 8, that way if you have any water/fuel issues your less likely to have detonation problems.

Im so glad fuel injection and computers exist.