Greasing UJ's - How do you manage it?

BruKen

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. This will be my first post here so hello to everyone :)

I am currently service rebuilding a Alpha Gen 1. Replacing all seals and bearings etc. My UJ is in good working order and so I would like to just grease the joints before assembling the top gear housing. The rear joint grease nipple is easy enough to reach with a flexi hose and has been greased. The grease nipple on the forward joint - on the yoke that goes through the gimbal - is tucked between the yoke arms in such a way that there is no hope of ever getting enough clearance to get a coupler connected. I would have expected a 45 or 90 degree nipple here.

Has this UJ been installed from factory 180 degree flipped (i.e. should the nipple be facing back towards the outdrive and not forward to the yoke)

Is there a special grease nipple connector that should be used for this tight space (I've hunted about but dont find anything that will fit)

Does anyone know the thread designation of these nipples so I can replace with an angled nipple? (They wont be metric I presume so dont want to damage one getting it off after 20 years of service only to find I cant get a local replacement and I dont mind importing but get one in first before destroying the one I have)

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Greasing UJ's - How do you manage it?

Hello and :welcome: to iboats.

Both nipples should face forward, as it sounds like yours are. For the front one it's just a matter of manipulating the joint so the yoke 'opens' far enough to get a standard grease gun onto the nipple. I usually have the drive in a stand, then just lift the yoke and turn it a little. You should find the yoke will 'flick' up in one orientation, that's when you can get the grease gun in.

Chris.....

BruKen

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I'll keep trying then. Pit of a Chinese puzzle isn't it? :lol:

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks, I'll keep trying then. Pit of a Chinese puzzle isn't it? :lol:

Ayuh,.... If ya wanta change the fittin', they're/ should be, 1/4"- 28,....