Mercruiser 165 Milky Oil... Overfull...Possible Cracked Block..Where to find ?

painthorsman

Cadet
I'm not 100% sure it's broke but, I've been told if I take the lifter covers off the side of the block, that is the most likely place there would be a crack, or could be in the head.. either way I'm in the market for a six cyl chevy 250 engine...I've also heard that if it's not cracked bad, I could "glass" the block... that there is some kinda crap you can pour in the block that will fill the crack and harden and seal it and that since these motors dont really run a pressurized cooling system, it would probably hold.......... any opinions or thoughts?.... the boat was basically a freebee otherwize and with warm weather coming and the family gonna want to use the boat soon and the fact that I dont want to spend half the spring with an engine scattered all over the place, assuming I find a good block...it's not like you'll find a 6cyl Mercruiser block in every junk yard.

BTW... I didnt break it... I just bought it a week ago... I knew it was milky.. thats how I got the guy down from 2500.00 to pulling a $100.00 bill out of my pocket and tossing in a good digital camera when he mentioned his wife was looking for one.

Walt T

Lieutenant
Re: Mercruiser 165 Milky Oil... Overfull...Possible Cracked Block..Where to find ?

You knew it was milky yet you bought it? 100 bucks and a camera? After he was asking 2500? Coming down like that had to be a warning. Anyway, exhaust manifold is first place I'd check. Cracked block is certainly possible and no there is nothing you can do if the block is cracked. Sure pull lifter cover, wont hurt anything at this point. Family wants to use the boat soon.... Take it to a shop wallet in hand saying forgive me for I have sinned and let them find all the other stuff that's probably wrong with it then just ask the shop to take it off your hands for 100 bucks. I can pretty much guarantee that boat isn't gonna be worth what you'll spend on it even if you do all the labor yourself. Then go find a decent boat for 2500 which you were apparently ready to spend. Have a pro look at anything you're interested in first. You'll need more than a block, you're gonna need a long block as it's no doubt been frozen. Then you need a manifold, then it's time to look at the drive which is off anyway and I just KNOW you're gonna find more bad news. Way out here in CO I got a baaaad gut feeling. Or maybe it's the beer and Mexican food from PIR yesterday. Yup, that's it. Nevermind the gut stuff.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercruiser 165 Milky Oil... Overfull...Possible Cracked Block..Where to find ?

+1 Walt, nothing more expensive than a "free boat".

Bondo

Staff member

I'm not 100% sure it's broke but, I've been told if I take the lifter covers off the side of the block, that is the most likely place there would be a crack, or could be in the head.. either way I'm in the market for a six cyl chevy 250 engine...I've also heard that if it's not cracked bad, I could "glass" the block... that there is some kinda crap you can pour in the block that will fill the crack and harden and seal it and that since these motors dont really run a pressurized cooling system, it would probably hold.......... any opinions or thoughts?.... the boat was basically a freebee otherwize and with warm weather coming and the family gonna want to use the boat soon and the fact that I dont want to spend half the spring with an engine scattered all over the place, assuming I find a good block...it's not like you'll find a 6cyl Mercruiser block in every junk yard.

BTW... I didnt break it... I just bought it a week ago... I knew it was milky.. thats how I got the guy down from 2500.00 to pulling a $100.00 bill out of my pocket and tossing in a good digital camera when he mentioned his wife was looking for one.

Ayuh,.... As I mentioned in yer other thread,... Replacement motors can be found, ya just gotta Look,....

To yer Fixin' the crack question,...
If, 'n Only If, it's cracked to the Outside of the block, a Non-oil area, Outside the block,...
Yes, epoxy can be used,....

If it's Cracked Into the Oil cavities, forgetaboutit,.... Find another block,...
'n 1 of the Most common spots for it to Crack, is just opposite, inside the block, from the Drain plug on the outside,...