Alpha 1 gen II Gear Lube reservoir cleaning and assembly

JohnKorte

Seaman
I am changing the gear lube and per advice on the forum I am cleaning my gear lube reservoir. It was very sludgy at the bottom. I took apart the sensor from the float so I can clean well. I am not sure if the metal band on the float goes up or down when I reinstall the float. Thanks in advance for you help.

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Alpha 1 gen II Gear Lube reservoir cleaning and assembly

The square oil bottle was not meant to be serviceable/disassembled like that. It may leak on you so be prepared for that. I've never had one apart.

Here is the clearest picture I could find online to hopefully try and help give you an idea.
Mercruiser Gear Oil Lube Bottle Reservoir Monitor Sensor 806193A47 8M0075710 | eBay

You may need a new bottle, Good luck.

Last edited:

JohnKorte

Seaman

Well I guess I will assemble it, hook up the leads, leave the bottle empty and I guess if I turn the key on I should hear an alarm? If not I will disassemble again and flip the float over and test.

Fun Times

Staff member

Well I guess I will assemble it, hook up the leads, leave the bottle empty and I guess if I turn the key on I should hear an alarm?
That will be your best bet. I should know this but I can't recall if the alarm will sound when the float just breaks away from very top or if it needs to bottom out. I believe it's bottom out, so I would think the metal band would go on the bottom but the photo in the link looks like the metal band is on top.:frusty:

Let us know what you come up with.

UncleWillie

Captain

Next time just flush it with a little kerosene and let it drain upside down for an hour with a paper towel stuffed in it.