470 Stern drive installation problem

dcjhoward

Cadet
I'm trying to install my 1977 Mercruiser 470 stern drive. I replaced my U-Joints and gimbal bearing. My alignment tool went in smoothly. I got it to slide right in until the last inch! It is stuck there. I mean STUCK. I can not got it any further forward and I cannot pull it back out. I believe it is stuck in the drive shaft/ u-joint area as I can rock it back and forth and fill that it is stuck there. I cannot turn the propeller/driveshaft by hand. I appreciate any ideas you have.
Thanks,
Dave

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 470 Stern drive installation problem

You can try to pivot the bearing a little to free it up maybe.Your alignment is off though if it wont move.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Make sure the throttle control and the outdrive are both in forward. Make sure both the bottom of the upper shift shaft and top of the intermediate shift shaft point straight forward. Sounds like it may be binding.

Bondo

Staff member

Make sure the throttle control and the outdrive are both in forward. Make sure both the bottom of the upper shift shaft and top of the intermediate shift shaft point straight forward. Sounds like it may be binding.

Ayuh,.... At the Last Inch, it's either the shift shoe/ foot alignment, or it's hangin' on the o-rings at the gimbal bearin',...

If the shifter is aligned,... Give it a good Mule Kick to send it home,...

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I cannot turn the propeller/driveshaft by hand.

Not sure I understand this comment. If the shifter/drive is in FWD as it should be for drive removal/installation, then the propeller will "lock" when trying to turn CCW (and needs to be held there for drive installation) and will "ratchet" on the clutch dogs when rotating it CW. You say you cannot turn the propeller by hand? Something else is wrong....( or the description of the symptom is mis-stated)

Last edited:

dcjhoward

Cadet

Man the video makes it look easy. :) It's been raining all weekend so I haven't been able to spend anymore time on it since I did the original post. I believe it needs a "calibrate size 9 adjustment tool applied". I have a size 12 that I think will do the job. I really greased the splines before I put it in. Is it possible the grease could prevent it from going all the way in?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is it possible the grease could prevent it from going all the way in?

I've not heard that putting too much grease on the splines with cause it not to go all the way in, but putting too much grease on the driveshaft orings can sometimes cause a problem.

Mark

dcjhoward

Cadet

Thanks everyone for you suggestions. I actually had a couple of hours of dry weather after work today. I verified that everything is in forward and the boot lines up. I pushed really hard several times and it moved for a little. I then took a 2 X 4 and a sledge and gave it a couple of taps and it slid right in. Its bolted in place now.

Now I get to change the lines for my trim cylinders. I wasn't able to break them free at the block on the bottom of the gimbal housing. I gave them a good quirt with liquid wrench and will try again tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.
Dave