mercruiser carburetor mounting bolt size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mercruiser carburetor mounting bolt size

Hello all - always get great help on this forum. Thanks in advance.
    I am trying to remove the carburetor on Alpha Mercruiser 3.0L GM 181 I/l4 S/N 0M326113
    but can't figure out what the bolt head size is. Plan to use a ratchet but none of the sockets are the right size.

Anyone know what the bolt head size is?

Re: mercruiser carburetor mounting bolt size

I'm not sure exactly - probably in the 7/16 - 1/2 range. May even be metric. Basically if your sockets do not fit, try the "other" - in other words, if you are trying to use a metric set, switch to standard and visa versa.

Comment

As you put the socket on the nut, there most likely will be a layer of paint over the nut that could give you a false feeling of the correct size.

You'll want to bring some 6 and 12 point sockets, as sometimes using both may help with the paint covering the nuts.

Sometimes a wobble socket adapter may come in handy removing a carburetor as well as a wrench.

Be sure to bring some metric sizes as well, I don't recall off the top of my head but you may encounter the size to be in the 10 through 13 mm range or it could be around the 1/2 inch size too. The throttle cable nut is 7/16.
      Last edited by Fun Times; March 1st, 2014, 10:51 AM.
      OEM Quality Gear Lubes And Greases Available @ iboats.com 'By Bel-Ray Marine Lubricants -- BOAT SPECS -- FORUM GUIDELINES -- Volvo, OMC & Merc Stern Drive Technical Information For DIYers. -- OEM VOLVO PARTS POWERED BY iBOATS.COM -- All OEM Parts / Parts Lookup Now Available Through iboats.com --

Comment

Ayuh,.... I'm thinkin' the carb studs are 5/16", which'd mean a 1/2" wrench,....
        Or maybe 3/8" studs, 'n a 9/16" wrench,...

Throttle linkages I've run across are 1/4" studs, 'n a 7/16" wrench,...

If it's metric, All my bets are off,... probably 10mm, 13mm, 15mm,...

Comment

Yep, 7/16. The paint was part of the problem. Also, needed a deeper socket to get down on it.
          Awesome, thanks for the quick replies.

I've got at apart and soaking in carb cleaner.

Comment

Working...
          X