7.4L- Should I bore it out??

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 7.4L- Should I bore it out??

I am disassembling the heads but had a question. there is a "cage" for lack of a better term, around the springs. I was wondering if this had to be put back in the same position as it is now. I has a slot on one side, is the slot supposed to go in a particular direction. I know that is a terrible description, I tried to post a pic but am not having success.

I would call those valve spring cups, some have called them baskets. I don't see that style anymore, not that they are not still used. Do need a pic to advise on the location, but I'm thinking the slot would be for clearance to the opposing spring.

The pic part of iboats is working bad and the only which is working "sometimes" is the basic uploader. Select the icon to upload from "my computer", the box that appears locate the "basic uploader". This will change the view, then find the pic using the browse function, select "up load files". It can look like it is not doing a thing, and the button is not much of a button. Give it time and it should come back with the attach number

klawton55

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have tried that, but will try again.

klawton55

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there is plenty of room between the valve springs so i dont believe that the slot is not to give them room. I was wonder if it might be to hold oil.

alldodge

Staff member

there is plenty of room between the valve springs so i dont believe that the slot is not to give them room. I was wonder if it might be to hold oil.

May I ask why are you taking the head apart? I can disassemble a head and put it back together but the easiest method is just let the machist do it. They will disassemble. clean, check, grind valves and seats, then lap them. Put it all back together and give it back.

wrench 3

Commander

They wouldn't be to hold oil, or the valve seals would leak. Some engines use a shield at the top of the intake valve springs to keep oil away from the valve stem! So if no other information can be found I would be inclined to put the gap to the lower side.

klawton55

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am doing it myself because I can. I have the ability and I have the stones and tools to grind the valve seat and lap the valves.

That makes sense wrench 3. Thanks.