Thunderbolt IV Ignition Amplifier/Module

OEM Mercruiser ignition amplifiers are close to 3 times the price of aftermarket. Anyone have opinions about this part being replaced by aftermarket or is it best to stay OEM with this one?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Thunderbolt IV Ignition Amplifier/Module

Personal experience says that the replacement (Delco Voyager complete distributor) doesn't come remotely close to the Merc TB-IV module.

I understand the problem (overpriced OEM vs cheap complete system), but the complete replacement system is NOT a drop-in replacement (quite a few wiring changes, and the timing curves are way off), and very few people are completely satisfied with the result.

Chris.....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Chris, Volvo has been using the Delco Voyager for years. What are the issues?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

There is no point in keeping the TB4 system once it has let go. Switch it to the delco voyager and forget about it. Thunderbolt was a mercury marine designed ignition, used only by mercury. The Voyager system was designed by Delco, and everybody else uses it (including later model mercury, and including automotive). And if the little EST module under the cap fries, they are only like 50 bucks to replace down the line.

It's relatively cheap because there are millions of these sold every year in more than 1 market, not because it's "cheap cheap" quality thing or something like that.

Last edited:

achris

Just do a search in the Mercruiser forum for the number of these things that people just can't get right. Major wiring changes to make it and the shift interrupt work. Then there's the timing curve issue.... Do the search....

Chris....

Bondo

Staff member

OEM Mercruiser ignition amplifiers are close to 3 times the price of aftermarket. Anyone have opinions about this part being replaced by aftermarket or is it best to stay OEM with this one?

Ayuh,.... Until ya go completely through the diagnostic tree, don't give up on the T-Bolt,....

Why are ya lookin' at replacin' yer's,..??

I'm only getting intermitent spark so its probably a sensor or amp since the coil is new. Not considering changing ignition systems just curious if aftermarket amplifiers are reliable or should I sell a pint of blood and get the OEM.

achris

If you have intermittent spark, look for your problem in the wiring or a bad tacho or shift interrupt switch. Usually not the amplifier.

Chris.....

If you have intermittent spark, look for your problem in the wiring or a bad tacho or shift interrupt switch. Usually not the amplifier.

Chris.....

Thanks Chris! Just when I think I have it all figured out you give me another potential source of the problem! I appreciate that, I'll replace that sensor in the distributor first then check what you mentioned if that doesn't work.

alldodge

Staff member

Suggest disconnecting the tach wire first, might be tach problem causing your issue