mercarb replacement time

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I was in the process of starting to rebuild my 89 3304-9565 mercarb and found that several components were rusted to the point of no return. Including the vacuum plunger and the screw used on the accelerator pump bracket.

I read that the Edelbrock 1409 is popular however I have a 2 barrel intake manifold and I do not see the reason at this time to go 4 barrel. Better alternative to the 1409 or does the 1409 have a bracket to use with 2 barrel?

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: mercarb replacement time

So I was in the process of starting to rebuild my 89 3304-9565 mercarb and found that several components were rusted to the point of no return. Including the vacuum plunger and the screw used on the accelerator pump bracket.

I read that the Edelbrock 1409 is popular however I have a 2 barrel intake manifold and I do not see the reason at this time to go 4 barrel. Better alternative to the 1409 or does the 1409 have a bracket to use with 2 barrel?

Thanks!

Ayuh,.... The Edlebrock is Useless without a matchin' intake manifold,...

Buy another copy of the carb you have now,....

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been looking at those also.

Does Edelbrock have a 2 barrel marine version?

NHGuy

Captain

I just looked, didn't see a 2 barrel Edelbrock marine carb.
Like the man said, get an exact replacement. Otherwise you'll have "stuff" to work out. Like brackets, connectors, possibly cables and who knows what else.
Plus marine carbs are different than automotive. They have unique venting and a spot for the mechanical pump telltale. Just get the Mercarb and be done with it.
As he said, if you just have to get an Edelbrock you also have to get a 4 barrel intake manifold to go with it.

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Roger that. Just ordered a replacement Mercarb. Thanks!

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I ordered a mercarb replacement with the same numbers and they sent me a Rochester.. At least i think it is. It has 2 idle mixture screws instead of the single. Do I need to complain or will this one be fine?

thumpar

Admiral

It would probably work but I would complain because you didn't get what you ordered.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Mercarbs are more expensive than Rottenchesters... So if you paid or a Merc, and got a rot, you should be due a few bucks back.

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tried the Rochester, and SENT IT BACK, could not get it to run correctly Mercarb is the way to go ….

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

What are the physical differences? Clearly the base has 2 idle screws vs the single. Will the butterfly plates swap between the 2? I also know that the accelerator pump has 2 different linkages.