Trim and trailer foot stopped working

ewattsnii

Recruit
I let the foot down and cranked the alpha 1 mercury 3.0l 180 stingray boat and let idle for 15 min. When I went to hit trailer or trim nothing happened. I have 12.7 volts on post and checked the 20 amp fuse all is good so I touched the hot terminal to the up solenoid and the foot raised to the up position just to store boat back in garage. what should I check next because the trim button and trailer button do nothing.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Trim and trailer foot stopped working

I let the foot down and cranked the alpha 1 mercury 3.0l 180 stingray boat and let idle for 15 min. When I went to hit trailer or trim nothing happened. I have 12.7 volts on post and checked the 20 amp fuse all is good so I touched the hot terminal to the up solenoid and the foot raised to the up position just to store boat back in garage. what should I check next because the trim button and trailer button do nothing.

:welcome: to iboats

This could be a bad connector at the trim pump. Mine had a similar issue, push the button and nothing happens. Check voltage and it looks fine. The issue turned out to be the connector at the pump. Jumper across the connector and see if it goes away

ewattsnii

Recruit

:welcome: to iboats

This could be a bad connector at the trim pump. Mine had a similar issue, push the button and nothing happens. Check voltage and it looks fine. The issue turned out to be the connector at the pump. Jumper across the connector and see if it goes away

What do you mean? I can jumper from red past to the up solenoid and it runs and the same for the down but the buttons on shifter does nothing what could be the issue?

alldodge

Staff member

What do you mean? I can jumper from red past to the up solenoid and it runs and the same for the down but the buttons on shifter does nothing what could be the issue?

There are 3 wires at the trim pump connector, red, green/wht and blue/wht. Power comes from the trim pump through the red wire to the trim switches. When the up switch is pressed power travels thru the blue/wht wire, back thru the limit switch then the pump connector to the up solenoid. Since the system does work when jumped and does nothing when switches are pressed, it will be one of three things:
1. fuse is blown at the trim pump
2. broken connection, either wire or inside pump connector
3. bad switch

Merc power trim 2012.jpg