2006 6.2 Mercruiser. Bravo three. ate impeller. no water to the raw water pump.

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am stumped. Pulled raw water pump today after overheat. The impeller was dust. I checked everything I could. The raw water pump is not getting any water. There is blockage between the pick up in the lower and the hose to the raw water pump. Does any one have any idea what the heck.

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: 2006 6.2 Mercruiser. Bravo three. ate impeller. no water to the raw water pump.

Hi there, if there was to be no blockage, then sometimes the bravo intake water hose may need to be primed to get the pump to start pumping.

If there really is a blockage then the bravo intake water passage may have become clogged up with corrosion like this, HELP PAGE, BRAVOITIS REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS FOR MERCRUISER REPAIRS, INSTRUCTIONS OR HELP TH REPAIR WATER PUMPS, HELP TO FIX LOWER SHIFT CABLE, REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS TO REPAIR TRANSOM REPAIR KITS, HELP WITH GIMBAL BEARING CHANGING,OUTDRIVE REPAIR HELP , LO

Does the boat sit in saltwater?

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2006 6.2 Mercruiser. Bravo three. ate impeller. no water to the raw water pump.

When was the last time the impeller was replaced?

Bondo

Staff member

I am stumped. Pulled raw water pump today after overheat. The impeller was dust. I checked everything I could. The raw water pump is not getting any water. There is blockage between the pick up in the lower and the hose to the raw water pump. Does any one have any idea what the heck.

Ayuh,.... Did ya try Back-flushin' it with a garden hose, while apart,..??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

if memory serves me, there should be an oil cooler on the suction side of the B3 raw water pump. the cooler may be clogged. as Bondo mentioned. back flush it.

tpenfield

Staff member

The oil cooler is generally on the pressure side of the sea water pump . . . I would think the the whole business needs a back flushing considering the impeller disintegrated. Things do get caught in the intake hose that leads from the outdrive pickups to the water pump.

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

Impeller was new. I did try to back flush. Pulled the intake hose off the water pump and tried. No luck. Nothing coming out of the drive. Boat is always on a lift. I thought about the oil cooler but that is on the pressure side.

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can I try a low mix of muratic acid?

Bondo

Staff member

Impeller was new. I did try to back flush. Pulled the intake hose off the water pump and tried. No luck. Nothing coming out of the drive. Boat is always on a lift. I thought about the oil cooler but that is on the pressure side.

Ayuh,.... Don't start with acid, use hose pressure, or start takin' things apart til ya find the Problem,....

alldodge

Staff member

Time to pull the drive off

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I wouldnt. I would keep pulling off hoses and connections working backward from the raw water pump until you find the problem. then correct the problem.

agallant80

Commander

Since the impeller is toast could it have worn the pump housing out? What happens if the boat is in the water and you pull the two drain plugs on the side of the pump? Will water come out (you may have to crank it) If so I would investigate the pump.

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pulled the hose from the pump to the transom tried water pressure and air pressure nothing.
Pretty sure fun times is right on. Gonna pull outdrive and check it on Saturday. Let you guys know what is what. Also pulled both plugs and nothing.

Last edited:

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great link thank you Fun Times

agallant80

Commander

You ever think of going to through hull pickup for the bravo?

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

You ever think of going to through hull pickup for the bravo?

Yes I did consider going with a thru hull. The whole time I was upside down and jammed in the incredibly small space. I can only see one drawback. I hate to put any holes in a hull.

lg260ss

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Was the "new" impeller an OEM part? Sometimes aftermarket impellers aren't the correct size which causes a low or no pressure situation.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Yes I did consider going with a thru hull. The whole time I was upside down and jammed in the incredibly small space. I can only see one drawback. I hate to put any holes in a hull.

I went through the same fear about poking holes through the hull. I eventually had one done for a high speed depth finder. If you have it done by someone who really knows what they are doing and does it all the time tis really nothing and it doesn't leak at all. There is also an option to put a pickup through your transom (possibly less traumatic to look at) as seen here:

Fresh_water_transon_mount.jpg

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went through the same fear about poking holes through the hull. I eventually had one done for a high speed depth finder. If you have it done by someone who really knows what they are doing and does it all the time tis really nothing and it doesn't leak at all. There is also an option to put a pickup through your transom (possibly less traumatic to look at) as seen here:

View attachment 223030

Where can I get this kit?.and has anyone done the bravo 3 to the transom conversion