Old girl needs a little help. Coolant leak @ Alternator tensioner-cam bolt hole???

Rotax800

Cadet
Hey everybody!

I have an (85)? Regal empress 200xl W/ a 190hp (3.7l?) inline 4 .Merc. Got it from a good friend for $1000. Cant go wrong with that. I had it out ALOT Last summer and she runs AWESOME. But, come winterization/ final season inspection time I came up with a list of things needing attention.

1.) prob. the thing that has me MOST baffled, (as I cant seem to find a good shop manual) The alt. mount/tensioner cam is broke right in half. not sure how that happened. @ the break there's a bolt which locks the cam in place. While filling the outdrive with A/F and fogging the carb I noticed it was leaking coolant around that bolt?!? ANY input on this would be Greatly appreciated! anyone know a part number for the alt cam?

2) Steering seemed to be getting a little sloppy come the end of the season, Wondering how easy it is to tighten that up. I'm assuming there's slack adjusters on the push pull cables?

3)I also need a new prop or a prop job done. has a couple minor nicks. anyone know the pitch and diameter for a 190hp merc. w/ the alpha 1

4) Anodes are shot dose anyone recommend a particular brand/distributer?

Really Appreciate the help guys!! I'm a rookie when it comes to maritime mechanics.
THANKS YALL!

Kris F.

Volphin

Lieutenant
Re: Old girl needs a little help. Coolant leak @ Alternator tensioner-cam bolt hole?

Hey Kris, post up your engine and out drive serial numbers. That will make it easier for us to help...

Rotax800

Cadet
Re: Old girl needs a little help. Coolant leak @ Alternator tensioner-cam bolt hole?

Hey Kris, post up your engine and out drive serial numbers. That will make it easier for us to help...

Engine: B407401
Outdrive: 4694364 (80% sure this is the #, Pretty faded)

Bondo

Staff member

Hey everybody!

I have an (85)? Regal empress 200xl W/ a 190hp (3.7l?) inline 4 .Merc. Got it from a good friend for $1000. Cant go wrong with that. I had it out ALOT Last summer and she runs AWESOME. But, come winterization/ final season inspection time I came up with a list of things needing attention.

1.) prob. the thing that has me MOST baffled, (as I cant seem to find a good shop manual) The alt. mount/tensioner cam is broke right in half. not sure how that happened. @ the break there's a bolt which locks the cam in place. While filling the outdrive with A/F and fogging the carb I noticed it was leaking coolant around that bolt?!? ANY input on this would be Greatly appreciated! anyone know a part number for the alt cam?

2) Steering seemed to be getting a little sloppy come the end of the season, Wondering how easy it is to tighten that up. I'm assuming there's slack adjusters on the push pull cables?

3)I also need a new prop or a prop job done. has a couple minor nicks. anyone know the pitch and diameter for a 190hp merc. w/ the alpha 1

Really Appreciate the help guys!! I'm a rookie when it comes to maritime mechanics.
THANKS YALL!

Kris F.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... The factory shop manual for yer motor can be found up in Don'S Adults Only section, at the top of this forum,...

Ya won't find any mention of the Alternator mount, as it's no doubt some aftermarket alternator,...
The 470 used an outboard style chargin' system,...

Slop in the steerin' must be found, then the worn parts are replaced,...
No adjustments to it,...

For yer Prop question, head on up to the Prop Forum, 'n read, then answer the questions posed in the "Read This First" sticky,...
That Info is absolutely Required,...

alldodge

Staff member

Kris F.

:welcome: to iboats Kris

There are three basic anode types, Zinc, Aluminum and magnesium.
Zinc and Aluminum for salt, Aluminum for brackish and aluminum and magnesium for fresh water. Read through the link below for further info and how to determine what you should use.

Anode FAQs

ABYCrec.jpg
WhichAnodes.jpg