New Holley carb question

LastCall1983

Seaman
Ok i've got a new holley 600 carb on my 1977 351w boat. I finally have shifting issues resolved after changing the lower unit out and now am ready to put the boat in the water for the first time.

I started it on the hose in the yard a few weeks ago and it ran, then it stopped pumping fuel. I bought a new fuel pump (mechanical) and installed it Sunday. I put it on the hose today and at start up it fired up and idled after the pump primed the line. I had the spark arrestor off and just happened to look and noticed the top vent was dumping fuel into the carb pretty heavily. After it idled a few minutes it stopped. Is this normal? Could it be that the carb had junk in it and had to blow it out?

It idled fine and stopped dumping the fuel after a moment or two but i just want to be sure nothing is wrong with it. I have a video of it if it'd help to explain what i'm talking about.

thanks

cr2k

Captain
Re: New Holley carb question

Sounds like your float valves are sticking and or corroded up.

kelleyja

Seaman
Re: New Holley carb question

I'd say thats not normal. If you have too much fuel pressure the vents will dump fuel. Since you just replaced the pump, you may want to throw a gauge on it to make sure its not making more 5-6 PSI