Newbie Velvet Drive Question

brl96

Cadet
I am restoring an old inboard that has been layed up for 10 years. It has a borg Warner velvet frive 72C. I am new to inboards and have a simple question. Should I be able to put it in gear without it running. The lever/shifter moves easily from forward to neutral amd reverse, but it appears to stay in neutral. Is this common or do I have a problem with the drive. The fluid in the drive was replaced.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Re: Newbie Velvet Drive Question

The clutch packs are operated by hydraulic pressure, so the input shaft must be spinning to make pressure.
So, yes it must be running to shift.

alldodge

Staff member

I am restoring an old inboard that has been layed up for 10 years. It has a borg Warner velvet frive 72C. I am new to inboards and have a simple question. Should I be able to put it in gear without it running. The lever/shifter moves easily from forward to neutral amd reverse, but it appears to stay in neutral. Is this common or do I have a problem with the drive. The fluid in the drive was replaced.

The velvet trany is a hydraulic powered automatic just like the one in a car, but only has forward and reverse. Moving the shifter does nothing except move a shuttle valve in the tranny. So without the engine running you will notice no change

Capt Ken

Commander

While you are back there and servicing everything, remove the lower starboard hose and unscrew the fitting. There is a wire screen inside the needs to be cleaned every so often.