Where's the check valves?

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, so I have a 1977 MC1 outdrive. I'm having a problem with the tilt/trim not staying up. I was told the check valves are bad in the pump. This is my confusion.... In shopping for a new pump [old style prestolite] I see they come as the pump and the tank but the valve body that feeds the trim cylinders is not included. This bolts to the bottom of the tank. Are the check valves in that valve body or in the pump/tank set up? Don't want to buy the new pump/tank and find out I needed the valve body that is no longer avalible.

Last edited:

wrench 3

Commander
Re: Where's the check valves?

They are in the valve body in the bottom of the pump assembly. They were prone to corrosion if water got into the system.
Sierra Marine has a replacement assemble for your Prestolite pump part #18-6768. It looks different but does the same job.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I might have a valve body, will check tomorrow in the evening.PM me then

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class

I might have a valve body, will check tomorrow in the evening.PM me then

Thanks BT. I would gladly buy it from you if you do. That Sierra set up is $700 with shipping...YIKES. I'm really starting to understand that "bust out another thousand" quote.

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello bt doctor, I tried to send you a pm but your mail box was full and it kicked back to me.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

fixed it, never made it home yet, In the shop Monday, will look and get back to you in a PM

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks fishrdan, I'll let you know. There sure are a lot of nice guys on this site. Thanks to all.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Have it. res. valve body and hose block.
PM me