how the heck to i get the gimbal ring off a pre-alpha outdrive

been trying for hours to pull some increadibly inconvienient cotter pin off the bottom pivot point of the gimbal ring.. cant seem to find any info on the pre alpha only the newer generations.
1971 mercruiser 165 with a pre alpha style outdrive..

Bondo

Staff member
Re: how the heck to i get the gimbal ring off a pre-alpha outdrive

been trying for hours to pull some increadibly inconvienient cotter pin off the bottom pivot point of the gimbal ring.. cant seem to find any info on the pre alpha only the newer generations.
1971 mercruiser 165 with a pre alpha style outdrive..

Ayuh,.... Gotta ask, Why ya takin' it apart,..??

How corroded, 'n rusted is it,..??

Have ya tried Heat,..??

i am replacing the belows and the lower shift cable... very little corrosion. and i realize now that i just had to push the two side pins in -on the side of the gimbal ring..
really tho its a shame i have to take all this junk apart just for a shift cable.. my belows are fine..
maybe im doing it all backwards.. but i just figured since im there anyways i may as well replace everything...
i called west marine for outdrive seals, belows, and the lower shift cable. and the guy had no idea what parts i needed, he said he needed actual part numbers.. huh.

fishrdan

Admiral

I don't blame you for doing everything, once completed you won't have to worry about the bellows for 5 years or so.

i called west marine for outdrive seals, belows, and the lower shift cable. and the guy had no idea what parts i needed, he said he needed actual part numbers.. huh.

West Marine :eek: I doubt they are going to have the correct parts for your ol' 71 Mercruiser M1 drive. And, you can get those parts one heck of a lot cheaper online... Iboat's probably has everything you need.

If the shift cable hasn't been updated to the new style that screws into the aft side of the bellhousing, the bellhousing will need to be tapped for a new cable with the "correct" type of straight tap, 1/4" NPTS. DON'T use a tapered tap!....

Also, do yourself a huge favor and buy a genuine Mercruiser/Quicksilver lower shift cable, they are well worth the extra money!

Fun Times

Staff member

maybe im doing it all backwards.. but i just figured since im there anyways i may as well replace everything....
If your taking off the "gimbal ring" to work on the cable and bellows, then it seems like your making it harder to do than necessary. If your going to update the shift cable to the new style, then you may need to remove the bell housing in order to use an 1/4-18 NPSF straight thread tap Mercruiser part number 91-95639 on the front (Bellows side) of the bell housing.

Are you using the Mercruiser OEM service manual?

haulnazz15

Captain

I wonder if he is really taking off the gimbal ring (extremely unnecessary) or just the bell housing. The bell housing pins have small keeper nails that have to be removed before you pull out the pins with the threaded holes.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

maybe hes talking about the the c clip that holds in the bearing?just a thought.

i believe it was the bell housing,, i WAS trying for the whole gimbal ring but got stumped.. wrong tools i guess. in fact, i thought they were threaded to.. but just had to pull a pin and push or pull them through.
so i found this number on my lower shift cable 18-21904 06303 ...
the closest thing i can find is '(1) 18-2190 Shift Cable Assembly - replaces O.E. # 19543A4' here on Iboats... is this the same thing?
and it seems if i buy the cable kit and a belows kit, i end up buying extra seals and o rings that i wont need.. is there a better combo out there

well,, my gimbal bearing is fine, all i need is the cable, bellows, adhesive, hose clamps, and gaskets.. im just buying them sepperate. and on top of that, i cant figure out which kit is for me.. 1971 fiberform, 165 merc. with pre-alhpa outdrive.