1999 gen II outdrive 4.3 merc

netting one

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Boat just stopped moving last year! Pulled top plate off of outdrive and gears were gone! (low oil ) buddy thought he would change it himself and only put a 1/4 qt in from the top! My question is every one i talk to says need a new outdrive its junk, dont bother putting gears in it buy new! The boat only has 134 hrs on it? Why not put new gears in?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 1989 gen II outdrive 4.3 merc

Boat just stopped moving last year! Pulled top plate off of outdrive and gears were gone! (low oil ) buddy thought he would change it himself and only put a 1/4 qt in from the top! My question is every one i talk to says need a new outdrive its junk, dont bother putting gears in it buy new! The boat only has 134 hrs on it? Why not put new gears in?

Nothing wrong with putting new gears in it but the worn gear pieces wound up down below crunching up against all the other gears, bearings and such. If your going to try, then need to pull the entire drive apart and go completely through it. More then likely it will cost less to get a new Gen II SEI outdrive for 1500 with 2-year warranty

Alpha One? Gen II Sterndrive Applications | sterndrive.cc

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

^^ +1

the cost to rebuild what you have will most likely be more than a new drive

on another note, its a 25 year old drive with only 143 hours that is less than 6 hours per year. that is about 2 outings a year. I would question the hour meter

thumpar

Admiral

Are you sure you have a gen II? Gen II didn't come out until 1991.

netting one

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you sure you have a gen II? Gen II didn't come out until 1991.

Thats what ive been told that the labor and parts are more then a rebuilt one. The boat was his uncles and never used it, and its a 99 my mistake. thanks for the help looks like its time for a rebuild.

Bondo

Staff member

Thats what ive been told that the labor and parts are more then a rebuilt one. The boat was his uncles and never used it, and its a 99 my mistake. thanks for the help looks like its time for a rebuild.

Ayuh,.... The Parts, Alone, without the Labor will be more money than buyin' a brand new SEI from iboats,....

'n the SEI comes with a 3 year, no questions asked warranty,..