Outdrive will trim down, will trailer up, but will not trim up.

FuelishBehavior

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 1993 Crownline with a 7.4L/Bravo 1 will not trim up. However, it will trim down and if you push the trim up switch all the way up to trailer it will go ahead and trim up. Is it my switch in the throttle/shifter assembly or is something else?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Outdrive will trim down, will trailer up, but will not trim up.

My 1993 Crownline with a 7.4L/Bravo 1 will not trim up. However, it will trim down and if you push the trim up switch all the way up to trailer it will go ahead and trim up. Is it my switch in the throttle/shifter assembly or is something else?

It's probably your trim limit switch on the starboard side of your outdrive. Go to the rear starboard side of the engine and find to black wires coming out of the drive. One black wire will be connected to 2 blue/white wires and one will be connected to a purple/white. Pull the jacks off and connect the Blue/white to the Purple/white wire. If your up switch works you need a new trim limit switch

agallant80

Commander

FYI from what I hear it is a royal PITA to replace the trim limit switch. Most people just leave it as is when the trim limit switch goes.

FuelishBehavior

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I'll try that test. I'm hoping it's something simple because I changed the limit switch and the sending unit last winter when I did all the bellows. It had been working fine over the summer but just quit working while on the water.

And just so I'm clear on the problem. I have one switch on the throttle, It goes down for trim down, lightly up is trim up, and then all the way up puts it into trailer up. The trailer up works so it will trim up by pushing the button past the normal trim up position.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

Ok, I'll try that test. I'm hoping it's something simple because I changed the limit switch and the sending unit last winter when I did all the bellows. It had been working fine over the summer but just quit working while on the water.

And just so I'm clear on the problem. I have one switch on the throttle, It goes down for trim down, lightly up is trim up, and then all the way up puts it into trailer up. The trailer up works so it will trim up by pushing the button past the normal trim up position.

If it does the same thing when testing it could be your switch in the handle or connection to it

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

It's probably your trim limit switch on the starboard side of your outdrive.

I believe it is on the PORT side (unless a Bravo is different from a Alpha). Should say trim limit on it.

Last edited:

FuelishBehavior

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will try the test by connecting the two onboard wires together and report the results. I believe your right Terry that the port side is the limit switch. Thanks gentlemen, always good info on this site for the do it yourselfer.

alldodge

Staff member

I believe it is on the PORT side (unless a Bravo is different from a Alpha). Should say trim limit on it.

Your right port side