Water in bilge

JohnKorte

Seaman
Re: Water in bilge

Well made my homemade Outdrive stand and pulled the outdrive this evening. Attached is a picture. Gimbal bearing rotated rough and has a lot of play in it so I will be replacing it. I have pulled plenty of oil seals out. It looks like it is recommended to pull the gimbal bearing with a special puller? As you can see there has been a lot of water through the drive bellows. Also I noticed the water port O'ring was 3 sizes to big and smothered with silicone. Not to happy with the previous owners mechanicing.
What do think about the universal joint's they are beginning to rust but turn easily? 20140102_163659.jpg

thumpar

Admiral

Pulling the gimbal bearing is easy. I went to Autozone and did the loan-a-tool 2/3 jaw slide hammer puller. 2 good wacks and it was out. Installation is what really matters.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For the U-joints - It's all up to you and your comfort level. Replace while you're in there or wait until fail and do it again. It's a toss up. They may last 6 more seasons (or not).

alldodge

Staff member

What do think about the universal joint's they are beginning to rust but turn easily?

Just replace them, they may feel ok but when put under load an issue may show up. Always a good thing to know the status of your parts

JohnKorte

Seaman

Ok still working at this a little at a time. Have bell housing off, all bellows off except shift cable bellows. I am not planning to replace the shift cable. Though I cannot see how to remove and put on the new shift cable bellows. Thanks for all your help.

JohnKorte

Seaman

Also, I noticed paint flaked off the exhaust sleeve on the transom plate as well as around the water port on the upper drive. Should these areas be painted?

alldodge

Staff member

Ok still working at this a little at a time. Have bell housing off, all bellows off except shift cable bellows. I am not planning to replace the shift cable. Though I cannot see how to remove and put on the new shift cable bellows. Thanks for all your help.
Removing the shift cable boot isn't that hard. With the bell housing off it's a matter of one hose clamp and a crimp clamp on the end.

Also, I noticed paint flaked off the exhaust sleeve on the transom plate as well as around the water port on the upper drive. Should these areas be painted?

It is always a good idea to clean, sand, wire brush and paint. Whether your in salt or fresh water a good paint job helps keep the corrosion down. More important in salt then fresh water but all the same it is needed. Clean smooth surfaces also seal better. Now if the pitting is to bad the housing may need to be replaced (hope not) but have a good lok and determine if it is needed.

JohnKorte

Seaman

Easy? How do you slide the new bellows on? Do you disconnect cable from the engine or bell housing?

thumpar

Admiral

Disconnect at the engine side and pull it through.

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer

What type of drive do you have? I have the same issue in my boat after removing the drive. But i caught it in time after noticing one night that my cabin had water in it and immediately pulled my boat out of the water since it is 27FT. After inspection i have noticed that the worm gear has came loose and that is when i investigated no further more because of the cold weather. But my point is that it is really not hard to replace the gimbals boot and everything else that is with it! My drive is a alpha 1 Gen 2 and a gimbals kit is about 150 bucks that includes absolutely everything. Best place to purchase in my opinion is Amazon.com. And yes indeed a hole in the gimbals could most defiantly cause water in you bilge and most definitely could sink your boat if not fixed! Good luck

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

John, I would suggest you get an OEM shift cable and replace your cable. To change the boot, you do 90% of the cable replacement job anyway.

alldodge

Staff member

Easy? How do you slide the new bellows on? Do you disconnect cable from the engine or bell housing?

Got to thinking about your previous question last night and in order to replace the Edit: you remove the entire shift cable out the transom. You really want to replace the entire shift cable while doing the boots. You could replace just the inner cable as 84EdH mentioned, but if you replace the entire cable you shouldn't have any troubles for a long time. One of the main troubles which give boaters is the outer cable needing replacement due to it wearing on the inside and creating play.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

Sorry misspoke earlier, about cutting the inner cable, which would need to be done for just the inner. But the entire cable can be removed and reinstalled. Disconnect it at the engine. Remove the end so it will slip through the bellows. When re-installing start the shift cable through the bellows before clamping the bellows in place. If you attach a string or wire to the cable before you pull it out, this will help in bringing it back in.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Just to clarify. I suggest entire shift cable (inner and outer) be replaced.