Trouble changing oil filter on a Merc 5.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

The B Word

Recruit
I'm trying to change an oil filter on my Mercruiser 5.7. As most of you know, the filters located on the port side, down under, towards the rear of the engine. it's a completely blind, one hand, operation to remove. I done it on a previous 5.7. The trouble with this one is; there's a "bracket", almost touching the filter and runs the entire length of the filter making it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to get any filter wrench to work. The space is so tight you can only get a few degrees of turn, not enough to get the wrench to grab. I've come to the conclusion that the only way I'm getting that filter off is to remove that "bracket". In groping around blind, with one hand, I can feel some bolts holding the bracket. I can't imagine what its purpose is and concerned I may get into deeper water by taking it out? Please, someone enlighten me as to what it is? I've tried to look under using a trouble light and mirror, but the "bracket" is at the top of the filter and i could not make out what it does. I do not feel it has anything to do with a motor mount, but then again, what if? I've always felt that Mercruiser did an injustice to their clients and even more to their design reputation by not supplying a remote filter as standard when an operation is so cumbersome. You know I'm doing it, once I get the darn thing off. I know it started out to be an automotive engine but Merc was to make it serviceable as a marine engine. I still feel they're the best out there. Please help me, my arm and hand can't make much more. Thanks

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Trouble changing oil filter on a Merc 5.7

Hi there, what year is your engine? have a engine serial number handy?

I also posted this on filters. Did not know there was this specific one for oil
I don't really follow this, was there a reason you did two threads of the same question?
Just so you're aware, The other ones going to be deleted per iboats policies of one thread per question.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral

It sounds like you are using a strap type wrench. I hate them. The ones I use are like channel locks made for oil filters. There is no take up it is instant turn. If you want to make it easier in the future get a remote kit.

thumpar

Admiral

My factory filter doesn't have the fitting on it. I know they make them but I don't know that Merc does.

NHGuy

Captain

If you can see access the side of the filter get the channel lock style. And get one with a bend in it. If you can only get to the bottom get a cup style filter remover. (not likely)
And whatever you do get some oil absorber pads. Good luck, I hate doing my oil change , I get less flexible by the year.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

time to invest into a remote oil filter.

the 5.7 oil filter boss is cast into the block. there is no unbolting it.

the reason MERC and Volvo do not supply the remote oil filter as standard is they are not the ones bolting the motor into the hulls. remote filters are not always needed and cost money, and us boaters are generally a cheep bunch.

thumpar

Admiral

If you do get a remote kit get one that has the filter hang down and not one that screws onto the top. With the hanging type you can put a bag under it and then unscrew the filter. No mess. Mine came with it. I am guessing that Crownline put it on if Merc doesn't install them.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

or the prior owner. a remote filter kit is about $50 from Summit

cheswest

Cadet
I use a filter wrench that fits like a socket over the filter and onto a 3/8 drive ratchet...comes off in seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.