Water in the cylinders of a Chevy 305 in a 2001 Bayliner

dziner55

Cadet
The old engine in our Bayliner was getting water in the cylinders. We rebuilt the engine, changed the manifolds and the manifold "Flaps" and the gaskets. We took the boat out today and it ran great! We stopped to do some fishing and when we went to start it again, it would not start. We pulled the plugs and have water in the cylinders again! It is only in the cylinders, not in the oil. Any ideas? We thought we changed everything it could be.

Vince

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Water in the cylinders of a Chevy 305 in a 2001 Bayliner

Looks like your getting water up through the exhaust. The flappers you mentioned are the ones in the Y-pipe correct?

Going from a yes on the flappers above, is the boat the kind that when fishing everyone is on the stern? If so do you think your setting so low with all gear and everyone back there that your stern sinks below the height of the risers? If so from waves and rocking you might be getting water flowing back.

Just guessing

NHGuy

Captain

The only things you didn't change could easily have been the culprit. That is your risers. Change them. Just do it. When they rust you get this exact problem.

tpenfield

Staff member

Not know the details of your rebuild, but if you used the same intake manifold and cylinder heads, then start to look there for the source of the water. Maybe you could pressure test the cooling system . . .

dziner55

Cadet

We are not running an antifreeze system, just bay water pumped in . Different block and heads, but same intake. We changed the manifolds. I have to see if we changed the risers as well. Does the fact that it is on all cylinders tell us anything, as opposed to it just being in one head?

tpenfield

Staff member

We are not running an antifreeze system, just bay water pumped in . Different block and heads, but same intake. We changed the manifolds. I have to see if we changed the risers as well. Does the fact that it is on all cylinders tell us anything, as opposed to it just being in one head?

It could point to the intake manifold . . . it is possible that the problem could be on one side, but I would be looking at the intake manifold at this point.

Since you have water in all cylinders, probably best to do a compression test to see if you have any bent connecting rods, etc.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

It happened with the first motor and again with this one. It is on both heads, I'm going with my first post