1982 330/trs borg warner problem UPDATE lastpost

Bounce19712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, maybe someone has an idea of whats wrong with my transmission.... it is a mercruiser 33o trs with borg warner transmission...@ 1982 year.

when in forward gear at wakeless speed...when applying throttle the rpms come up and the transmission seems to go back to neutral (just sounds like it) before it engages... so it sounds like it's revving up and dumping the clutch.....

I don't think this is normal as I've been in a similar power package boat and it was smooth....

any ideas?

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1982 330/trs borg warner problem

Hello, maybe someone has an idea of whats wrong with my transmission.... it is a mercruiser 33o trs with borg warner transmission...@ 1982 year.

when in forward gear at wakeless speed...when applying throttle the rpms come up and the transmission seems to go back to neutral (just sounds like it) before it engages... so it sounds like it's revving up and dumping the clutch.....

I don't think this is normal as I've been in a similar power package boat and it was smooth....

any ideas?

Ayuh,.... Is the oil clean, 'n at the right level,..??

alldodge

Staff member

There should be a dip stick on the trans to check level. Pull it out and it should be nice and pink (ATF), if you see brown or it smells burnt there is a problem

Walt T

Lieutenant

Its either lack of oil or lack of pressure or lack of any more friction plates. If oil level is okay its time to pull the transmission. I personally would not let a tech rebuild it that hasn't done a bunch before. They aren't difficult but one has to know what one is doing and that seems to be missing in a lot of techs.

Bounce19712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks all for the responses!!

as it happens, it was just pulled and some repairs were made...new pump...etc.

unfortunately for the same reason... only it was much worse the first trip (new boat to me).

the fluid measures right to the notch on the dipstick...nice and pink, new ATF, smells good.

the first time (before it was pulled and repaired) it would make a serious gear grinding noise after revving high and then finally engaging into gear...

after the engine pull...and repair.... it does is less dramatically but same symptoms...way less dramatically actually. (It was horrible the first trip)..now it's minimal...but is definitely not engaging until rpms come up...even if you're already in gear and off plane/ wakeless speed.

depressing.

Walt T

Lieutenant

It sounds like clutch packs not engaging. Did they rebuild it? Just replacing the pump wont fix a worn out transmission. Not engaging until rpms come up can be low pressure, and can also be clutch packs worn down so that it takes a lot of piston travel inside the pack to engage the clutches and the rubber seals don't really seal off until they reach the relatively unworn part of the shaft they don't usually reach. Go find a shop that knows what they're doing. No tech worth a crap would just replace a pump on one of those. Obviously all the other components have just as many hours and use on them. It's a 1982, assume it's never been gone through. It's well past it's expected lifespan. Fix it right and be done with it.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

watch the linkage while someone else drives

Bounce19712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It sounds like clutch packs not engaging. Did they rebuild it? Just replacing the pump wont fix a worn out transmission. Not engaging until rpms come up can be low pressure, and can also be clutch packs worn down so that it takes a lot of piston travel inside the pack to engage the clutches and the rubber seals don't really seal off until they reach the relatively unworn part of the shaft they don't usually reach. Go find a shop that knows what they're doing. No tech worth a crap would just replace a pump on one of those. Obviously all the other components have just as many hours and use on them. It's a 1982, assume it's never been gone through. It's well past it's expected lifespan. Fix it right and be done with it.

the mechanic replaced the clutch packs when he replaced the pump....he's putting it on the dyno today to duplicate the problem and has opined that the replacement pump may not be generating enough pressure....and that the pump came in a Borg Warner box but he's been getting crappy/faulty replacment parts recently..he also said he can measure pressure to verify the pump is not putting out. He said if it is the pump it's on him...

there is only one boat mechanic in my town...he's made good on every thing and has good reputation albeit a little cranky. :)

thanks for your input...I will update when possible.

p.s. the linkage is good to go.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

Your linkage coming from the helm levers are working properly. Issues which can causes problems listed from your first post to current, is the trans has a weak pump, the clutch pack is leaking, or incorrect adjustment of shift lever. Stated the trans was rebuilt but the problem persist to some degree. I would say either the trans was not rebuilt correctly or the shift lever has not been correctly adjusted.

I would suggest removing the shift cable from the trans and shifting it manually, if this works it's not the trans. If the manual shift does not work then the trans needs to be rebuilt correctly by someone who knows how.

To correctly check the trans level is as follows:
1. Remove dipstick. Check fluid level as indicated on dipstick. Fluid level may be somewhat over full mark, as some of the fluid from transmission fluid cooler and hoses may have drained back into transmission. If low, add transmission fluid to bring level up to full mark on dipstick.

IMPORTANT: To accurately check fluid level, engine must be run at 1500 RPM for two minutes immediately prior to checking level.

2. Start engine and run at 1500 RPM for two minutes to fill all hydraulic circuits.

IMPORTANT: Be sure to push dipstick all the way down into dipstick tube when checking fluid level.

3. Stop engine and quickly check fluid level. Add automatic transmission fluid, if necessary, to bring level up to full mark on dipstick. (Refer to “Filling Transmission,” following.)

4. Reinstall dipstick.

Bounce19712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks! also it is a single arm morse throttle

Last edited:

Bounce19712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1982 330/trs borg warner problem UPDATE lastpost

duplicated the problem on the dyno (thank Goodness, because I don't think he believed my symptom explanations), mechanic said he talked with some other people that are getting bad replacement pumps in borg warner boxes...

motor is coming back out, pump will be replaced.

Bounce19712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

turns out to be a collapsing transmission cooler hose (maybe?). Got the phone call today..gonna go look at it tomorrow.

Burnt the new clutch up again a little I hear....

hey, why did the pirate lose the spelling bee? because he could only say Ayeeeee and Arrrrrrrrr.....

Last edited:

Bounce19712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

clutch retainer rings were bent out of spec and replaced as well.

testing next spring...lol.

alldodge

Staff member

clutch retainer rings were bent out of spec and replaced as well.

testing next spring...lol.

Sure hope you got it all this time. Looking forward to warmer weather

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I just realized no one (including me) suggested looking at the propeller hub.... egads. I assume we tried a different prop.

Bondo

Staff member

I just realized no one (including me) suggested looking at the propeller hub.... egads. I assume we tried a different prop.

Ayuh,.... It's an Inboard Howard, 'n most all of 'em are solid props,...

Good Luck Bounce, see ya in the Spring,...

We'll be waitin' for yer Update,.... ;)

Bounce19712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Aye Aye Lads!!

I've been using someone elses boat to do Powell this winter....sure is nice not worrying about your vessel all the time.... death to the Stripers!!

update in late march possibly

thumpar

Admiral

Ayuh,.... It's an Inboard Howard, 'n most all of 'em are solid props,...

Good Luck Bounce, see ya in the Spring,...

We'll be waitin' for yer Update,.... ;)
In the original post it said TRS drive. Maybe it was a mistake?

Walt T

Lieutenant

I assumed it was a solid prop also. Miscommunication