1982 330/trs borg warner problem UPDATE lastpost

Bounce19712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1982 330/trs borg warner problem UPDATE lastpost

well...it came with original cleaver..solid / no hub...but I've switched to michigan wheels.... hub was not the issue however....definitely not......proven on the dyno...clutch engaging after increased RPM....clutch not engaging after shifting into gear..until 700 rpm or so

I'm clearing a spot in the garage for her this weekend to prepare for March....swab the deck, cabin tweaks, maybe a down rigger for the big stripers.

alldodge

Staff member

Glad you figured it out, would be interested to know what is found when the tranny comes apart

Got ice forming on the water, hate cold, come on spring

Bounce19712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the tranny has been reinstalled already... there were a couple things the mechanic replaced... first.....the clutch plates were merrily grinding away into a fine metallic powder that congealed as a thick paste inside....

clutch plates were replaced..

retainer rings were replaced.....
the old retainer rings were re-used the first time and this time he bought new as they were out of spec/ would not remain in the groove for the full arch of their length.......

the manual the mechanic had had contradictory instructions for what size retainer rings to use, I suspect it was a different borg trans maybe as the grooves for the retainer rings were different sizes than indicated in the picture.....he bought a pack of them and we mic'ed them for sizes ..as I recall they were .065 to .090 (or whatever the size was! :) )

the mechanic put the closest fitting retainer rings in the grooves to hold the clutch plates/disks if I recall correctly

the transmission cooler hoses were replaced....one had worn/expired near the crimp and was suspected of collapsing

it was tested on the dyno and apparently no symptoms were apparent....boat is winterized until late march...testing begins again.

salute!

Last edited:

Bounce19712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good Morning Team!

final update on the transmission. This summer I ran the boat on the trailer in my yard...the propeller was spinning exceedingly fast in neutral...never changed perceptible speed when shifting back and forth from Forward to Neutral.

To get it to shift into reverse I'd have to push the throttle (single arm shifter/throttle) into the reverse detent and raise the RPM's until about 800rpm before the rapidly spinning prop would slow down and then reverse direction.

Way to screwed up for ramp "ops".

I took it to a mechanic in Page, Az who found the second set of new clutch plates warped into forward and he pulled the transmission and replaced/rebuilt the Velvet drive. (To the tune of $3,200) He ran into a low pressure issue in neutral. It would have good pressure in neutral after a restart of the engine but would lose pressure shortly thereafter.

He said he rebuilt the control valve and problem went away. specifically he didn't mention any replacement parts for it as I recall.. I now have a functional transmission.!!! woo hooo!!!

I paid the first mechanic $4000 to fix the transmission... they broke and replaced the trim pump for free, ran the boat without water and killed the impeller/housing and cracked the intake manifold (possibly or it cracked by itself), replaced the transmission oil cooler, replaced the new transmission hoses twice (they mis-measured length the first time), replaced the oil cooler (said it blew up on them and sprayed oil everywhere but there's not a drop of residue anywhere onboard), backed the boat into their boatyard fence, "fixed" the trailer brakes but left the reservoir cap loose; it filled up with water/gunk) replaced the trailer hitch head unit, over tightened the drum brakes or did not install the head unit properly as my first trip to the new mechanic I had overheating brake drum hubs... I stopped every 40 miles and waited an hour for them to cool down; but this brake drum thing will be another thread :) )

I brought my new/used boat to these guys and asked to replace all the rubber. They skipped the transmission oil cooler line which collapsed when applying throttle the first day I ran the boat and now here I am $10,000.00 (total) dollars later.

Avoid Marine Maintenance in Flagstaff, AZ at all costs.

Try B&T Marine in Page,AZ instead!!!!

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Making me feel better about doing all my own work... even if I dig the hole deeper before I get it filled in. Crazy that mechanical shops take that much money off you and don't fix the issue

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Glad you got her going!

You know, before I retired, people would come into the shop & asked if I knew what this problem was or if I could perform a certain procedure or repair. If I couldn't or didn't know I would say so. Always followed with "but I can find out or figure out how" or whatever the case may have been.

I hate when you run on to those people who will not for the life of them say "I don't know"
I guess they think it makes them look like they don't know what they're doing or something.

OK off of my soapbox
Good luck with your new mechanic!
Jim

Really got a chuckle out of the "cooler blew up in our faces" too bad that wasn't really the case, Huh?

Lost your cooler & said it blew up so they could charge you for a new one is probably what happened.

Bounce19712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
trailer issue resolved with P&M Trailers in Flagstaff. they replaced the back plates. B&T marine and P&M Trailer..... Love it! brake drum temp 120 after getting home.