Mercruiser 5.7 with edelbrock 1409 carb

rockeater

Cadet
Evening everyone,
I started the boat today after a one year overhaul and it felt great. However, I have a question on proper timing. I set the timing to 8 degrees btdc. I have read that it should be 4,6, or 8. So my question is which is the correct timing for this engine? It runs great at 8 degrees with good throttle response.

Rock

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 5.7 with edelbrock 1409 carb

Evening everyone,
I started the boat today after a one year overhaul and it felt great. However, I have a question on proper timing. I set the timing to 8 degrees btdc. I have read that it should be 4,6, or 8. So my question is which is the correct timing for this engine? It runs great at 8 degrees with good throttle response.

Rock

Ayuh,.... Yer gonna have to Id yer motor better,... Got the serial numbers,..??

Which ignition,..??

'bout what vintage,..??

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Evening everyone,

Rock

Hi Rock.

Makes it easier for us it you include the engine serial number for any advise regarding the engine. Drive serial number if you're looking for drive advise...

That said... I did a little digging (as you only have 6 threads to your name it wasn't too difficult) and it appears you have a 1988 engine... If that is the case, and we need the serial number to verify that, then the correct initial timing is 8?BTDC at idle (650-700 rpm). In another thread you said this is a replacement engine. Vortec or non-Vortec?

Chris.....

Last edited:

rockeater

Cadet

Sorry Bondo/Achris,
It is a replacement long block from Michigan Motorz, running roller cam and lifters with a 1409 edelbrock carb and an alpha one gen 1 out-drive. Engine is non-vortec. So, I have no serial numbers for the block. By the way Achris, I have been to Perth and Fremantle Australia. Both nice places. (Bond-o, by now I should know what questions you are going to ask based on your previous posts)

Rock

Bondo

Staff member

Sorry Bondo/Achris,
It is a replacement long block from Michigan Motorz, running roller cam and lifters with a 1409 edelbrock carb and an alpha one gen 1 out-drive. Engine is non-vortec. So, I have no serial numbers for the block. By the way Achris, I have been to Perth and Fremantle Australia. Both nice places. (Bond-o, by now I should know what questions you are going to ask based on your previous posts)

Rock

Ayuh,.... We still gotta know Which Ignition yer runnin',....

The serial number from the dead motor will tell Us what accessories yer runnin',...

Last edited:

LorenHaus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If its a 5.7L VORTEC (8-bolt intake) with Delco EST Ignition, the BASE timing is 8? BTDC, total advance is 26? at about 3500 RPM. Make sure to use the timing shunt (with the white loop wire). If you need the manual again, feel free to call us or email me at loren@michiganmotorz.com.