pre-alpha shifting issue

chris650

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all! Love this forum btw:) I am having some shifting issues and was wondering if anyone has any techniques for isolating whether or not its my lower shift cable, or something deeper. Forward is no problem, but from N to reverse is giving me problems. I followed the adjusting instructions to a tee,and being that ive been a machinist for 20 yrs,trust me, im "dead-on" with the 6" length from center of barrel to the center of the hole.Even with the slot moved into the extreme "up" position, the prop will only lock up if I pull it towards me. In my business, I would probably refer to that as "backlash". Im obviously targeting the shift cable first and hoping that's the problem. Any suggestions would be great! I have a 1978 228.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: pre-alpha shifting issue

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... It sounds like the inner cable has worn a groove in the outer casin',....

replacin' the lower shift cable, Should be the cure,...

chris650

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thx bondo, and great to meet you! Ive read many of your posts and you are very helpful. Just a follow up...it almost seems like the cable doesn't travel enough,if that makes any sence.

chris650

Petty Officer 2nd Class

and if I could pick your brain a little more...what would be some examples of signs that it would be something more serious?

Bondo

Staff member

Thx bondo, and great to meet you! Ive read many of your posts and you are very helpful. Just a follow up...it almost seems like the cable doesn't travel enough,if that makes any sence.

Ayuh,.... Perfect sense,...
When the inner wire, wears a groove in the outer casin', you Loose all of the travel, takin' up the slop, 'tween the inner, 'n outer,...

It's like stuffin' wire into a pipe,....
Ya can stuff miles of little wire in a big pipe, 'n yer pipe is now Too Big,.... ;) :D

and if I could pick your brain a little more...what would be some examples of signs that it would be something more serious?

If it were Too Tight, it wouldn't be so loose, that'd be a different issue,...

More serious is whenever the prop don't turn in the right direction,....
Lotsa examples of Lotsa issues,....

chris650

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thank you very much! Great insight! Hope to discuss things with you in the future!

chris650

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I had to guess...you are a marine mechanic? I see quite a few shift cables on this sight, but none for my drive. Will the alpha gen 1 work?

Bondo

Staff member

If I had to guess...you are a marine mechanic? I see quite a few shift cables on this sight, but none for my drive. Will the alpha gen 1 work?

Ayuh,.... I'm just a Mechanic,... that works on some boats sometimes,...
I've wrenched on everything you can put a wrench on, but lately it's been heavy equipment, 'n boats,....

We haven't really Id'ed yer drive, I'm guessin' it's the MC-1, 'n you'll need to do the cable conversion to up-date it,...
I think there's links 'bout it in Don'S Adults Only section,...

chris650

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well the ser # is 4787657. Its a 1978. Has a lifting hole on top.