Starter Part Number Identification

ccave04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I recently had my starter die on my boat and need to replace it. I do not have a local shop that I can have it rebuilt at so I plan on ordering a new one.

I have a year 2000 Mercruiser 5.0L V8. w/ a gen2 Alpha 1 Outdrive.

I have removed the old starter and their are no part numbers on it, just the contact information from the company that made, I am assuming it is an after market part. I am also going to contact that company and see if they could identify the part number or type of starter it is for ordering purposes, but I assume you folks will be must faster.

Basically I am looking for a part number / model number so that I can order a new starter.

I am attaching a bunch of pictures of the actual starter out of the boat, any information will be helpful. If I need to provide anymore details please let me know.

Starter 1.jpgStarter 2.jpgStarter 3.jpgStarter 4.jpg

ccave04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Starter Part Number Identification

Also, only thing that is stamped on the starter (at least on the outside I have not opened it up) is an A E.

The company who made this specefic starter is:
MES

One more picture:
Starter 5.jpg

ccave04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a SELOC manual # 3206 but I can't seem to find in there a starter model number or part number.

Thanks!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Thats the Hi-Torq starter for GM engines. Sierra 18-5913.Do you have an engine serial number?

ccave04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HI BT Doctur,

Thanks for the link, and the serial #. Before searching the part number you gave me I used your link to look up what I needed and came up with the same part number you provided.

Unfortunately I do not have an engine serial number. Should I go down to the boat and try to find it prior to ordering a new starter? Never looked for it, nor do I know where to begin.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

check the valve cover, flame arrestor cover. usually a metal tag just above the starter

Bondo

Staff member

HI BT Doctur,

Thanks for the link, and the serial #. Before searching the part number you gave me I used your link to look up what I needed and came up with the same part number you provided.

Unfortunately I do not have an engine serial number. Should I go down to the boat and try to find it prior to ordering a new starter? Never looked for it, nor do I know where to begin.

Ayuh,.... That's a standard marine staggered bolt pattern Chevy starter,.... like this one,....