Leaking 1976 Mercruiser/Sea Ray Weekender

dsimmons18

Recruit
Hi Everyone, i am new to iboats and the boating community. I recently purchased my first boat, a 1976 sea ray weekender v240. I took her out this weekend for the maiden voyage, i will put it this way...a little interesting. I am taking on about 15-20 gallons of water in a 5-6 hr period. looks to me that its coming thru the engine compartment. i found a pencil sized hole in the lower bellow on the outdrive (not sure if that could be causing the problem). Where would you recomend i start looking for this leak? equipped with a Ford 351 Windsor and mercruiser. Thanks in advance for your help.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Leaking 1976 Mercruiser/Sea Ray Weekender

:welcome: to iboats

Need to pull the outdrive and start replacing the boots. A pencil size hole can quickly become a rip and down you go to see Davey Jones. WHile your at it change the gear lube, check engine alignment, and gimble bearing. Hope you have already replaced fuel filters.

haulnazz15

Captain

Yup, I would recommend replacing the exhaust/shift/u-joint bellows and then go from there. I would probably replace the gimbal bearing, engine alignment, gear lube/water pump impeller, and grease the u-joints while you're at it. Cheap insurance. Only $100 or so in parts, but it's all preventative maintenance.

Last edited:

cr2k

Captain

If it was the bottom bellows with the hole it shouldn't add any water to the boat. Besides the mentioned maintenance items you could have a loose Y-pipe or a hole in the hull. A good way to find it (if the new bellows doesn't stop it) is to fill the boat with water (not up to the starter) and look outside for leaks.

Bondo

Staff member

Hi Everyone, i am new to iboats and the boating community. I recently purchased my first boat, a 1976 sea ray weekender v240. I took her out this weekend for the maiden voyage, i will put it this way...a little interesting. I am taking on about 15-20 gallons of water in a 5-6 hr period. looks to me that its coming thru the engine compartment. i found a pencil sized hole in the lower bellow on the outdrive (not sure if that could be causing the problem). Where would you recomend i start looking for this leak? equipped with a Ford 351 Windsor and mercruiser. Thanks in advance for your help.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... The bottom bellows is the exhaust, 'n won't allow water into the boat,...

A digital camera will put yer eyes, where yer head won't fit,....
Til ya find the leak, everything is just a Guess,...

'n, unless the transom has already been replaced at some time,....
I'm Guessin' ya got a Rotten transom,...

dsimmons18

Recruit

Thanks for the info! i guess i should have taken a closer look when i bought this thing... hopefully its a fixable problem! ill keep you posted. whats the best way to determine if the transom is shot?

alldodge

Staff member

Thanks for the info! i guess i should have taken a closer look when i bought this thing... hopefully its a fixable problem! ill keep you posted. whats the best way to determine if the transom is shot?

It will be soft, push inside with a screw driver, if it goes in then it needs replacing