Boat stalls when im shifting??????

snowman51789

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a 90 wellcraft with a 305 Chevy and alpha outdrive. my shifter seemed stiff so a couple weeks ago I took it apart. cleaned it greased it (I didn't free up very much) and put it back together. then every so often the motor would stall when shifting. its getting worse and worse. I know I've read some place that it could be the shift cut out but when I looked at it the roller was in the middle were I believe its supposed to be.

the only conclusion that I could hack together is that mybe my shifter needs to be replaced.

any advice would help a lot.

thanks

Dave

Re: Boat stalls when im shifting??????

Adjust your idle speed... Haha just kidding. Maybe something didnt get put back together correctly (sounds like a cable end is loose) and every time you go from forward to reverse its in-tightening more and more.

snowman51789

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I replaced both cables last year

Walt T

Lieutenant

Replaced both cables last year and you eyeballed the cut out switch... Do the full procedure on cut out adjustment, never assume anything. It does sound like a worn cable so you need to check it carefully, recheck your installation on both ends. Never assume anything. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "I just replaced it so it's not that" and of course it is the part just replaced. Usually not installed quite right or procedures not properly done.

snowman51789

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The the thing that makes me think its not the cable is that a few time when the boat stalled it would not start until iI moved or giggled the shifter. It was almost like there is something in the shifter its self causing the problems. And when I giggled the shifter im sure it was in neutral and not still in gear.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Shifters have neutral safety switches built into them. But that won't cause it to die.

Double check your cable ends... Better yet triple check them, it very well could be a worn out cable.