470 Starter wiring

yamhoss86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So i installed a new ignition coil, Slave solenoid (see pic), Carburetor, Starter w/Starter solenoid.
Hooked everything up still when i hit the ignition all i hear is the click. Do i still need a slave solenoid if i have a starter solenoid?

Attachments

• Solenoid.JPG
    Solenoid.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 5

wrestling coach

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 470 Starter wiring

Have you checked all battery connections both positive and negative? Both ends! Are they clean and tight? What about the cables? Are they free of corrosion?

Dennis

alldodge

Staff member

So i installed a new ignition coil, Slave solenoid (see pic), Carburetor, Starter w/Starter solenoid.
Hooked everything up still when i hit the ignition all i hear is the click. Do i still need a slave solenoid if i have a starter solenoid?

Yes you need the slave solenoid. The key supplies 12V at low current to the slave. Using low current means you don't need large wire to carry higher currents and therefore smaller switches (key switch) can be used. If the slave was not used, all the wiring and switches would need to increase in size to carry higher loads.

Where is the click coming from, the starter solenoid or slave solenoid?

yamhoss86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you checked all battery connections both positive and negative? Both ends! Are they clean and tight? What about the cables? Are they free of corrosion?

Dennis

I have checked multiple times. i think maybe i should start looking at the diagram.

yamhoss86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes you need the slave solenoid. The key supplies 12V at low current to the slave. Using low current means you don't need large wire to carry higher currents and therefore smaller switches (key switch) can be used. If the slave was not used, all the wiring and switches would need to increase in size to carry higher loads.

Where is the click coming from, the starter solenoid or slave solenoid?

In the past i had only a slave solenoid. The old starter i had didn't have a starter solenoid. The new starter i got has a starter solenoid attached. I have only hooked up the yellow wire from the Slave to the Starter solenoid. I do not have any other wires connected to the starter solenoid.

yamhoss86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you need the battery hooked up to the starter!

Thanks for the reply.
Ok, so i used to have the starter in the "Old Starter" Diagram.
Now i have the starter in the "New Starter" Diagram.
So i am hooking up everything in the "New Starter" Diagram, right?

Attachments

• Old Starter.jpg
    Old Starter.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 11
  • New Starter.jpg
    New Starter.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 15

alldodge

Staff member

Thanks for the reply.
Ok, so i used to have the starter in the "Old Starter" Diagram.
Now i have the starter in the "New Starter" Diagram.
So i am hooking up everything in the "New Starter" Diagram, right?

You should have the old starter diagram with the new starter. As stonyloam stated, connect the battery (+) cable to the top Solenoid terminal. Remember solenoids are treated as relays. You need a + and - to the coil to energise the solenoid/relay. When the relay energizes it closes contact across to other terminals which can pass higher current.

If it was mine I would wire to new style as follows:

One side of the starter Solenoid is grounded the other needs to go to one of the larger terminals on the slave Solenoid.
Other terminal of slave goes to main engine 12 volt source use to be hooked to old slave relay)
One side of slave relay (-), smaller terminals, goes to ground
Other side of slave relay goes to start position on key switch.
+ Battery cable goes to top large terminal on the starter solenoid.