What did we break?

Weidner

Recruit
We were out in our 89 Searay 260CC yesterday. It's got a 454 Merc. After being out for about 4 hours of boating we were heading in when we heard a whiring noise then a pop, smelled like a burnt belt. Motor runs fine but prop won't turn. Is this my lower unit and if so... how ugly is the bill to repair this?

On a side note, the kid that towed us in cracked me up, he was taking pictures for his buddies. I'm just glad he stopped!

alldodge

Staff member
Re: What did we break?

With the burnt rubber smell I think you burned up your engine coupler. When was the last time the drive was pulled and alignment checked?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

... how ugly is the bill to repair this?.....

If indeed it is the coupler as AD suggest which seems correct, have to pull the motor to replace the coupler.....will be a bit hefty if you need to have a shop do it....

Mark

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Did you happen to notice what happened to your water temperature after the propulsion was lost? If you blew your coupler (based on smell symptom), then you lost your waterpump action in your outdrive. You'll need to pop the drive apart and check for the related heat damage from this event.

thumpar

Admiral

If it is a 454 I doubt it is an alpha drive so the impeller would be engine mounted and not affected by coupler failure. The problem does sound like coupler though.