Engine bogging down, very little power

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Engine bogging down, very little power

Don't understand the imminent destruction bit Chris. Ticks over sweet, picks up without hesitation. Responsive on the throttle. Flys along when trimmed. Just has a ticking noise at higher throttle in gear. No such noises when revving out of gear. Worried about taking her out again now. :blue:

Engine knocking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It doesn't sound like a terminal noise. Will post a video and try to pick the sound up. As said, quiet until max revs. Back off, then quiet again. (Desperate?) haha.

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

could it be carbon build up would high octane fuel clear it ?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

high octane fuel would help if you are getting pre-detonation. however if your timing is too far advanced, set it to specs.

which octane fuel are you using? and which scale? Ron? R+M/2?

alldodge

Staff member

could it be carbon build up would high octane fuel would clear it ?

High octane fuel burns slower and could help. You do not have a high compression engine and therefore higher octane fuel should not even be in the mix for solving the problem.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

High octane fuel burns slower and could help. You do not have a high compression engine and therefore higher octane fuel should not even be in the mix for solving the problem.

remember, high octane fuel to some parts of the world is 83 while other parts of the world its 100.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

I wasnt even talking about AvGas. just normal pump fare found at gas stations around the planet. Hence the reason I inquired to the OP what fuel he is using as far as octane rating and which scale (there are 3 commonly used octane rating scales)

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bayliner 2052LS Capri steaming along - YouTube thanks for all the help. Really, thanks guys. Can't hear any noise, apart from a steaming along happily engine.I think the missus was being paranoid and could probably hear the exhaust burbling or something. Had her flying across the sea just fine. :lol:

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bogging again, but its water in the fuel. Im hoping that a fuel/water filter will sort it!

alldodge

Staff member

Bogging again, but its water in the fuel. Im hoping that a fuel/water filter will sort it!

The fuel/water separator helps keep water out of the carb, but if you do have a lot of water in the tank it needs to come out. What makes you think it is water in the fuel?

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well it's the last thing left I can think of. The carb has been stripped and cleaned, and there was evidence that water had made it into the carb at some point. Cleaning it stopped the bogging down. Several trips later and it starts again. It has been an extremely wet winter in the UK (most of the south is still flooded), and I have a real build up if damp onboard. I have been from top to bottom and changed everything I could as discussed in previous threads, so a separator must be the answer? Moisture has to be getting into the fuel somehow, atmospheric or otherwise. I'm having a look today to see if I can remove the last of the fuel (only got an 8th of a tank left), and will fit it. Having one has to be better than not?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Bottle of metho.... That will allow the water to attach to the fuel and be burnt through the normal engine cycle.

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fitted the separator. We took off around the marina and sure enough, when she came up on the plane she spluttered. The water that we couldn't remove was basically going to the back of the tank as the boat lifted. So I pulled the separator filter off, poured it over the side and carried on for another 200 metres. I kept doing this until she just started cruising with no hassles. A fine bit of kit! I have got a cheap after market one fitted with two filters. So I can swap them over now and again to chuck any water out. I think I will upgrade to the better one though, as it has a clear bottom so that you can see if there is any water in the fuel, also you just undo a little tap to let it out which is easier then taking off the filter each time. I now await the next issue.....

alldodge

Staff member

Fitted the separator. We took off around the marina and sure enough, when she came up on the plane she spluttered. The water that we couldn't remove was basically going to the back of the tank as the boat lifted. So I pulled the separator filter off, poured it over the side and carried on for another 200 metres. I kept doing this until she just started cruising with no hassles. A fine bit of kit! I have got a cheap after market one fitted with two filters. So I can swap them over now and again to chuck any water out. I think I will upgrade to the better one though, as it has a clear bottom so that you can see if there is any water in the fuel, also you just undo a little tap to let it out which is easier then taking off the filter each time. I now await the next issue.....

:eek: :jaw: YOUR JUST KIDDING RIGHT!

Your not pouring water and GAS over the side

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nope, just the small amount of water that collects in the bottom of the filter...its atmospheric moisture getting into the fuel. But enough to splutter and bog her down if left alone. I get what you mean though when I read my post back.:facepalm:

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

Nope, just the small amount of water that collects in the bottom of the filter...

I feel so much better now, thanks

A small amount of water in the bottom of the filter should not have caused the engine issue. The filter would have to be fairly full, gas is lighter then water. The fuel to the carb is taken from the top of the filter housing. If the carb had water in it, this would cause the issue. I'm thinking the carb had the water in it. Each time you stopped to do the filter, you had to pump the throttle and a little more water went into the intake. Did this enough times and got rid of all the water. The accelerator pump takes fuel from the bottom of the carb.

Either way sounds good your back in business :)