Outdrive doesn't fully engage

J.cowling

Cadet
I have a 4.3L mercruiser. It's a 1991 with an Alpha 1, Gen 1 outdrive. I bought the boat and the guy thought the foot was bad. I could get it to shift into forward most the time, but could "rattle" out after a few spins by hand in the opposite direction. It never engaged reverse. I tried to adjust the cables doing the 6" adjustment and what not, but it never fully engaged either gear quite right. I pulled the outdrive off and found that the cable was pulling in the "shifter link" but it is bottoming out on the gimbal housing, or helmet case, possibly too early, therefore not having enough travel to actually shift completely into reverse, subsequently maybe not fully pushing all the way into forward. With everything hooked up I can shift to either gear, reach under and push the lever just a little bit and get it to engage. Is there some adjustment I can do to allow more travel on this piece? It looks like it should come off the cable. There is a very rusted flathead screw on the far end of it. It is the fork piece that engages the linkage to the outdrive if I have thrown anyone off haha. Thanks for all your help. I hope to get this fixed soon!

thumpar

Admiral
Re: Outdrive doesn't fully engage

There should be an adjustment at the engine side of the shift cable that slides the end up and down to adjust the throw of the cable. It could just be an out of spec cable though.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 4.3L mercruiser. It's a 1991 with an Alpha 1, Gen 1 outdrive. I bought the boat and the guy thought the foot was bad. I could get it to shift into forward most the time, but could "rattle" out after a few spins by hand in the opposite direction. It never engaged reverse. I tried to adjust the cables doing the 6" adjustment and what not, but it never fully engaged either gear quite right. I pulled the outdrive off and found that the cable was pulling in the "shifter link" but it is bottoming out on the gimbal housing, or helmet case, possibly too early, therefore not having enough travel to actually shift completely into reverse, subsequently maybe not fully pushing all the way into forward. With everything hooked up I can shift to either gear, reach under and push the lever just a little bit and get it to engage. Is there some adjustment I can do to allow more travel on this piece? It looks like it should come off the cable. There is a very rusted flathead screw on the far end of it. It is the fork piece that engages the linkage to the outdrive if I have thrown anyone off haha. Thanks for all your help. I hope to get this fixed soon!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Odds are, yer lower shift cable is just plain ole Worn Out,...

The inner cable tends to wear a groove in the outer casin', causin' a loss of travel,...

Too much Slop,...

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Got a serial number for the drive? A '91 typically has a gen II, but your case may be different. Just want to make sure your getting the right answers for the right drive, but more than likely your shift cable is wore out.

J.cowling

Cadet

Got a serial number for the drive? A '91 typically has a gen II, but your case may be different. Just want to make sure your getting the right answers for the right drive, but more than likely your shift cable is wore out.

Engine S/N=D516737
Outdrive S/N=1984 A463241O (0) Not sure if its an O, or zero
Housing, helmet, transom mount...whichever it's called S/N=Od548166

I looked up somewhere and thought it was a Gen II as well but I had a buddy come over today that I thought knew boats and he was certain it was a Gen I. I pulled the upper and lower outdrive off and there was "no oil port to keep upper gears lubricated" he said that was a Gen II design. Maybe he was wrong?

Also, if the cable is worn out, how hard is it to replace that cable? My buddy recommended grinding part of the fork away so that way it wouldn't bottom out as quickly and cause more travel? Sounds like a quick fix, but maybe not a good one? Anyone in the Charleston area? I've got an offshore boat, I'll trade a trip or great fishing, BBQ, and laughs for a few hours of your time? Thanks guys, let me know.

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try this Mercruiser Alpha Shift cable adjustment - YouTube

NHGuy

Captain

Just replace the ENTIRE lower cable and carefully adjust the new one. Trying to do less will be an exercise in futility which will end in eventually changing those exact parts.
Look at the cable adjustment video referenced above to finish it up.

Bondo

Staff member

Engine S/N=D516737
Outdrive S/N=1984 A463241O (0) Not sure if its an O, or zero
Housing, helmet, transom mount...whichever it's called S/N=Od548166

I looked up somewhere and thought it was a Gen II as well but I had a buddy come over today that I thought knew boats and he was certain it was a Gen I. I pulled the upper and lower outdrive off and there was "no oil port to keep upper gears lubricated" he said that was a Gen II design. Maybe he was wrong?

Also, if the cable is worn out, how hard is it to replace that cable? My buddy recommended grinding part of the fork away so that way it wouldn't bottom out as quickly and cause more travel? Sounds like a quick fix, but maybe not a good one? Anyone in the Charleston area? I've got an offshore boat, I'll trade a trip or great fishing, BBQ, and laughs for a few hours of your time? Thanks guys, let me know.

Ayuh,...... That's not the Problem, 'n it won't fix athing,....

J.cowling

Cadet

Just replace the ENTIRE lower cable and carefully adjust the new one. Trying to do less will be an exercise in futility which will end in eventually changing those exact parts.
Look at the cable adjustment video referenced above to finish it up.

New cable it is! West marine sell them, or a cheaper place to get one? Thanks. To replace it can I just take off the ends, pull the actual cable through, then slide the new one back in, or am I going to have to get the shaved 9/16" socket and pull everything out of the gimble housing and stuff? Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help!

J.cowling

Cadet

Also, based on my serial numbers, is it a Gen I, or Gen II? Thanks

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Cant find your drive number on this list:
http://bluewatermarinesvc.com/pdf/drive_model_year_index.pdf

(Is it 0A4632410 ?)

Based on your info, sounds like an pre-genII drive mated (retrofitted) to a later year boat.

Someone here can/will post the pic that you can use to easily compare the "looks" of a gen II vs a Pre-gen II drive (easiest at first glance is where the trim rams connect.... all the way back is pre-gen II. More forward towards the middle of the drive is Gen II.)

(edit...here's the link I was referring to regarding ID'ing your drive:
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...cellaneous-mercruiser-information-329915.html )

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

If the slide is bottoming out and you dont get reverse you have something wrong. Either the upper shift shoe is trying to mate to a rusted lower spline or the shift spool is worn out.
Don`t listen to that buddy anymore

J.cowling

Cadet

Awesome, thanks for the pics. It's definitely an Alpha 1 R/MR. Bt Doctur. It definitely bottoms out. How would I determine which part I need to replace? The slide is for sure bottoming out

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

remove the drive, turn shoe so its in a straight line(fwd) prop locks CCW .Hold tension on the prop and try moving the upper shoe.
There should be very little movement of the upper shoe.If there is a lot of movement, split the unit and inspect the lower splined shaft.
page 1C-41 http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6C1R3.PDF

J.cowling

Cadet

So I've pulled the whole outdrive off. I checked what I could to make sure all teeth were good. Here's what I've come up with. If I lie down and take a screwdriver (unit together) and hold the turn shoes fully engaged in reverse or forward, the prop locks. If I spin the prop the other way so you get the slight popping and then try and go back where it was previously locked, it has turned just a little bit to disengage. If I don't hold the shoes pegged. Now I don't have the other end of the cable hooked up to the engine so the cable could be moving a 32nd of an inch or so while I try and turn the prop. This is allowing it to disengage. I may be wrong, but shouldn't there be just a bit of tolerance there? I have a brand new cable. It came with the boat. I was thinking about just pulling the internal "silver" cable out of the boat, and sliding the new one in? It should have no play? Is this is a good idea? How do you take off the fork inside the outdrive to attach the new cable? Thank you very much. I'm driving myself crazy pulling this thing on and off trying to see if it holds gear. Not sure how to send pics or anything on here, is it okay to put my number on here so I could text someone? Thanks.

J.cowling

Cadet

I went and picked off another foot from a junk boat last night. It acts the same way. I think I'm just being a dummy. I have just the foot, sitting on the ground. I use my hand and turn the shifter. The prop locks, I rotate the opposite way and as it slides over the first "pop" the shifter slightly turns and then the prop no longer locks, it's out of gear until I manually hold that there. The engine running is going to maintain that pressure once it's spinning, to maintain it in gear? All along, probably just a cable adjustment. I did the cable adjustment originally and it didn't have enough travel to even reach reverse. Leads me back to a cable issue. I plan on replacing the cable, putting the foot on, and going with the adjustment...we'll see what happens!

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I went and picked off another foot from a junk boat last night. It acts the same way. I think I'm just being a dummy. I have just the foot, sitting on the ground. I use my hand and turn the shifter. The prop locks, I rotate the opposite way and as it slides over the first "pop" the shifter slightly turns and then the prop no longer locks, it's out of gear until I manually hold that there. The engine running is going to maintain that pressure once it's spinning, to maintain it in gear? All along, probably just a cable adjustment. I did the cable adjustment originally and it didn't have enough travel to even reach reverse. Leads me back to a cable issue. I plan on replacing the cable, putting the foot on, and going with the adjustment...we'll see what happens!

Yes... your are getting the right response on you manual engagement and prop checks. The action of the drive in that water keeps the drive engaged in fwd (or rev) gear. What you are doing with the drive off the boat are normal checks that I do after I reassemble the drive and prior to attaching to boat. Hold shift shaft in fwd (CW) while turning prop CCW and mke sure it locks CCW and ratchets CW. Then do the same for Rev. Hold shift shaft all the way CCW, turn prop CW til it locks, and then CCW to hear it ratchet. to install the drive, move shift shaft full FWD (CW) and then use a method (eg, bungee cord) to hold the prop CCW to "lock" the drive in FWD while you install on boat (with shift lever in FWD too, of course). I then do the same prop and shifter checks after putting OD on the boat (with the shift lever) to check that the shift slide is properly engaged and working. Then its ready of oil fill and splash (in water) checks (that check the operation of the shift interrupt system). Sounds to me like you are into a basic lower cable replacment scenario.

Last edited:

J.cowling

Cadet

That makes me feel good. Looks like I'll be going for that. What part on a cable wears out? The internal cable, or whole thing? I really have no idea how to get that slide off the old cable. I can slide the whole thing out of it's sheathing. But then what? I may just go with putting it all back together, going with the adjustment, hoping it goes far enough to engage reverse. That was the original problem, I'd put it in reverse, go check the prop locked and it didn't quite turn the foot far enough to engage reverse. Is that a cable problem? Thanks man, you're a huge help.