new gimbal bearing, bearing is crooked in aluminum carrier

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: new gimbal bearing, bearing is crooked in aluminum carrier

Do you mean "no change to the bearing:? You need to move the bearing until the bar centers on the coupler, then move the engine mount as necessary to get the bar to slide into the coupler.

i mean i installed the bearing, slide the alignment bar through it and was able to start it in the coupler. still changed the front engine mount height a lot from where it was with the old bearing. i didn't make any changes to the gimbal bearing itself.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Maybe you don't understand that the alignment tool will engage the coupler regardless of the height of the front of the engine, just not very far. That is enough to get the bearing moving in the carrier so you can then start raising or lowering the front of the engine until the bar slides all the way in... This is of course presuming the rear mounts have been set up correctly, with the double wound 'special' washer... And tightened down to 35ft.lb. If the rear mounts are wrong, you will NEVER get the alignment right....

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class

installed the new bearing, stuck the alignment tool in it and rotated it around just to see how much movement there was in the gimbal, lots. hooked up front of engine to hoist, had to lift it a bit and move the bearing around in order to even get the align tool started in coupler. tapped align tool up down side to side to help align the bearing. used the front engine mount to adjust the height and got the engine and bearing aligned, even spline marks all the way around end of align tool.

thanks.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Good job ! and the align bar slides in/out easily now?

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good job ! and the align bar slides in/out easily now?

yeah. might fiddle with it to see if there is a real sweet spot. but right now i have even marks all around.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Monte, when u get really close to "perfect" alignment, the grease marks take back seat to ease of insert/remove. Also, you saw the recco. For torque front mounts, then check align. Then rotate engine and ck. In 90 degree phases.

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Monte, when u get really close to "perfect" alignment, the grease marks take back seat to ease of insert/remove. Also, you saw the recco. For torque front mounts, then check align. Then rotate engine and ck. In 90 degree phases.

sorry, "recco" = recommendation?

Last edited:

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, I meant recommendation.

Last edited: