Question about Throttle Only button

murswan

Recruit
Hello all, I took out our new (old) boat this weekend and it started up fine when we got it in the water etc, but the prop would not engage. So after going through everything again, I realized the throttle only button was pushed in and wouldn't disengage. Being that I know zero about boating yet, does that button not allow the prop to engage? The throttle control is a QuickSilver Commander. If not, what are some suggestions to which I could look at? I'll search the forums in the mean time.

thx!

1998 Doral TRX
3.0 L Mercruiser

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Re: Question about Throttle Only button

Yes..."throttle only" does just that....let you use the lever for the throttle without engaging the shift cable. Need to see if you can "excercise" the stuck button to get it to disengage (should automatically disengage when you take the lever back to mid-position/neutral). May be time to disassemble to fix if it does not automatically pop out. There are manuals on this controller, but I dont have access to one right now...maybe someone else does, or you can google it. Might try a bit of silicone spray lube on the button if it is physically "stuck" in the lever.

Last edited:

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Did you pull the shifter back to neutral? Did it click in place? When you move the shifter do you see the throtle cable move at the carb?

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

If its like mine the button snaps in from the outside of the handle.
I tried to upload the pdf file i have but its to big.........but i found it on the net... Quicksilver Camander panel mount.

Everything is on the internet...:facepalm:

murswan

Recruit

Thanks very much for that link, its fantastic! I did find the manual for the throttle, it just didn't explain what the throttle-only was for and the pics weren't very good, and yes it is kind of a self explanatory name :facepalm: but I just didn't understand if the propeller wouldn't turn when it was engaged... So thanks all for the explanation! I have taken it apart and the the plastic piece of the throttle only shaft seemed kind of worn which I think was why the button wouldn't pop back out. So I ordered a new shaft assembly (817253A1) plus a repair kit (85882A1). In the mean time, until the parts come in, is there a way I can bypass the button so I can see if its actually the button thats causing the prop not to turn?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

is there a way I can bypass the button so I can see if its actually the button thats causing the prop not to turn?

OK not really, but you can see what is going on. The way it works is basically there are two ams in the control. Throttle and shift cable. Normally they are linked together by a pin so that when you advance the throttle you also shift into gear. When you push the throttle only button the pin disengages the shift arm and you can advance the throttle without the shift cable moving. Simply go back and look at the port side of the engine, the shift bracket. Have someone advance the control. If the shift cable does not move, then the throttle only is engaged.
If you want to go a little farther, disconnect the shift cable (at the bracket) and push it in, check to see if the prop locks when you turn it CCW (forward).

Last edited:

murswan

Recruit

OK not really, but you can see what is going on. The way it works is basically there are two ams in the control. Throttle and shift cable. Normally they are linked together by a pin so that when you advance the throttle you also shift into gear. When you push the throttle only button the pin disengages the shift arm and you can advance the throttle without the shift cable moving. Simply go back and look at the port side of the engine, the shift bracket. Have someone advance the control. If the shift cable does not move, then the throttle only is engaged.
If you want to go a little farther, disconnect the shift cable (at the bracket) and push it in, check to see if the prop locks when you turn it CCW (forward).

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a whirl. just don't want to fix something that doesn't need fixing :D

Cheers!!