Mercruiser no forward..

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2001 Mercruiser 5.0 Alpha one gen 2 1.62 gears. Cannot get the boat off the lift shift lever is very hard to move, goes into reverse but when I throttle the engine dies, will not shift into forward until 1500-2000 rpm tried adjusting and no matter where the shift cable is it tends to act the same. Please some advice would be great!!!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser no forward..

if you have overheated the cable may be melted some. suuggest pulling the drive to inspect the shift components

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, I am planning on pulling drive, never overheated I am going to try to adjust then today will keep you posted. Is this normal to work fine then not?

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

When the shift cable is on the "ragged edge" of its limits, it is common to work fine one moment and then not work the next (and not be able to be adjusted). Sounds like time to replace the cable.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

If u disconnect the lower shift cable from the shift plate you should be able to push it in and pull it out smoothly. If its sticky, rough or hard it tells u the cable is worn out and then replace it. If its smooth do your adjustments, If that doesnt solve ur problem then I would pull the drive and start looking at shift components

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks all, problem solved. The shift cable somehow....got caught in the power steering rams and it got smooshed. new cable ( re routed), bellow, greased gimbal bearing, checked alignment . voila!!! Took the family on a nice 80 mile boat ride to see Starved Rock, saw bald eagles and some real nice views!!!! Thanks again

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks all, problem solved. The shift cable somehow....got caught in the power steering rams and it got smooshed. new cable ( re routed), bellow, greased gimbal bearing, checked alignment . voila!!! Took the family on a nice 80 mile boat ride to see Starved Rock, saw bald eagles and some real nice views!!!! Thanks again

Ayuh,.... Glad to hear it,.... I always Love a Happy endin',... ;)