Mercruiser I/O oil

Perrywary

Cadet
I recently became the proud owner of a 30' 1972 reinell cabin cruiser? It has two 225 mercs And am having trouble with a couple of things. First I have found one of the transmissions? Is stuck in forward and the other one is bone dry. So my questions are: what oil do I need to fil the out drive/ transmission? What are the chances that I can free up the other one? Any suggestions are deeply appreciated!!!
Perry
Oh oh I just realized I made a boo boo I have an Inboard not an I/O or stern drive

Last edited:

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mercruiser I/O oil

Welcome to IBOATS.

Probably best to post some serial numbers of the engines and drives so we'll know what exactly you have and offer advice based upon your particular package.
Pictures never hurt either.

Mark

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I recently became the proud owner of a 30' 1972 reinell cabin cruiser? It has two 225 mercs And am having trouble with a couple of things. First I have found one of the transmissions? Is stuck in forward and the other one is bone dry. So my questions are: what oil do I need to fil the out drive/ transmission? What are the chances that I can free up the other one? Any suggestions are deeply appreciated!!!
Perry
Oh oh I just realized I made a boo boo I have an Inboard not an I/O or stern drive

Automatic transmission fluid type 'A'.... Now known as Dexron II (any good quality AFT will do)... DO NOT use synthetic AFT, it will dissolve parts in your transmission. Dexron F can be a bit 'gritty'....

Last edited:

Perrywary

Cadet

So I found the numbers on the port engine as 6263751R and the ( is it still a transmission if it only goes forward and reverse?) transmission number as
I couldn't find any other numbers and am hoping that the other side matches this one
The oil in the one is very dark and I hope it is ATF

achris

More fish than mountain goat

This is a 'direct drive', yes?

Perrywary

Cadet

Yes i believe so It has a forward neutral reverse not sure where to find more info am hoping to get some help from the members here

Last edited:

Perrywary

Cadet

I found this (finally) when I was off over the weekend

image.jpg

I imagine it is going to have to be removed to get it out of forward( it is stuck) but am wondering if I have to do anything special to keep the output shaft from slipping out of the boat?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I found this (finally) when I was off over the weekend

View attachment 211163

I imagine it is going to have to be removed to get it out of forward( it is stuck) but am wondering if I have to do anything special to keep the output shaft from slipping out of the boat?

Howdy,

Looks like you have a Velvet Drive.

I would say that you have other problems if one of them are "dry"

You'll need to know the model number to determine oil type. Most of them used Automatic transmission fluid though.

There is info on the net. You just have to look. Google is your friend!

Velvet Drive Tips

http://www.kp44.org/ftp/VelvetDriveInstallationManual.pdf

http://www.marineryachts.com/borg_manual.pdf

Simplicity Marine Drives - Velvet Drive & Borg Warner

Regards,

Rick

Perrywary

Cadet

So it looks like this is the model #MO 10-04-000-011 then it has this below that E-1.5 so I think it is in fact a V- Drive an I am still trying to
Figure out if it needs to be pulled out of the water or not? I have added ATF to them and one seems ok but the other is still stuck in forward
All help is deeply appreciated!

Perrywary

Cadet

Thank you rick for the links I really do appreciate the help
I hope to find another V Drive soon so I can get this out of the marina and do some fishing!!!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Thank you rick for the links I really do appreciate the help
I hope to find another V Drive soon so I can get this out of the marina and do some fishing!!!

Yeah. I think you're going to be pulling that trans. If you can disconnect it without disturbing the propshaft/stuffing box, you might be able to remove it with out hauling the boat.