How to tell what gear lower stern drive is in?

Alpha_1

Recruit
Hello, this is my first time posting. Just wanting to say love the site! Lots of good information!!
I just have one quick question. I'm currently in the works of changing the water pump on my 1977 mercruiser mc-1 stern drive. I put the drive into forward gear (spun the propeller counter clockwise while pushing the throttle forward, till I heard the distinctive click), before separating the upper housing from the lower. Now that the stern drive is separated I noticed the propeller will spin freely both ways but when I spin it counterclockwise the drive shaft spins. Likewise when I spin the drive shaft one way it will spin the propeller but the other way it just spins freely. So my question is... What gear am I in, neutral reverse, forward??

In advance, thank you!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: How to tell what gear lower stern drive is in?

Unlike an outboard, there are no detents for the gear selection on a Mercruiser lower housing. The only way I know to get it into forward gear before re-installing it on the upper housing is while turning the propeller CCW, turn the shift shaft (just in front of the water pump) CW. When the shift shaft stops moving, and any further turning of the prop shaft CCW turns the drive-shaft CCW (looking from above), you're in forward... If you turn the prop-shaft CW at all, it will push itself back out of gear. Some people like to put a length of bungie cord on the prop at this point, to stop it turning CW....

Chris....

Alpha_1

Recruit
Re: How to tell what gear lower stern drive is in?

Perfect, exactly the answer I was looking for! Thanks again.