water in cyls. 1980 Merc 228

themaxxx

Cadet
Here's the equip: 1980 Sea Ray, Merc 228 (305ci chev), 2 year old new exhaust manifolds, kept and used old risers, 1 year old SE 106 lower unit (still under warranty). Here's the running history: Been running well almost all Summer (day trips, no watersports, just cruising)....then it sits a couple weeks....I have a nearby small lake I always go to the day before or morning of any trip to our regular destinations just to be sure all is well.....read: no surprises at the big lake. So, next trial run at small lake, engine wont start, many attempts; so I blast a little ether, it starts, then dies, over and over....so I decide fuel pump. Remove fuel line, crank engine, squirt squirt squirt just like it should. I clean the barely dirty filter since Im there, re-connect, re-try to start....vroom! Runs like a champ, idles fine, all good. My best guess? Some sort of vapor lock? Back into the lake, starts running hot (been running normal temp all season), I start questioning gauge, then water inlet on lower but it checks out clear (visually from outside)...I keep running thinking it will cool down (or gauge will behave) but then it starts to smell hot, so I decide water intake impeller failure and head in, put up to the busy ramp, tie off to pier, cut off engine, wait my turn to get trailer in water. When I go to crank back up, engine appears locked up. Great!!! So as Im loading, by hand, Im offered help by the guy waiting on me. I tell him whats up....he suggests pulling the spark plugs and see if water is in cylinders AND AND AND, will engine turn with plugs out. So home I go thinking about what he said...sure enough, 2 cyl on each side where completely full of water, 2 ea. side where dry (valves closed?). So off to my MARINE mechanic; he asks about the oil level on dipstick, I had pulled and read it to see if oil was milky back when engine wouldn't restart; I said oil lev el was higher than "full" but looked fine; immediately says blown head gaskets, both sides. $800 to $1000 to solve.....but gotta get the engine dried out quick, don't let it sit, see if you can start it, but don't run water through inlets, you don't want to put even more water into cyl's....this will of course fry the impeller, but least of your worries. So, plugs back in, no water, and a couple of hiccups later....vroom....carefully watching the gauge (I now believe what is says) I run for 60-90 seconds or so (prayer service for impeller) get the engine feeling warm, then cutting it off. Check oil, it looks just fine, but still 3/4" higher than full mark. So, my question.....y'all agree that blown head gaskets are the ONLY way water got into cyl's? or do you read something else into this? Its about a $1000 question since impeller kit is about $65.

Volphin

Lieutenant
Re: water in cyls. 1980 Merc 228

I really doubt the head gasket theory. Engines 99.95% of the time will not blow 2 head gaskets at once. It just doesn't happen.
#1 cause of water intrusion is manifold/riser related, along with exhaust shutters.
#2 cause is cracked block.

Last edited:

camalot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A $1000 ain't bad for two head gaskets to be changed, but would have to agree the odds of both going at once is nil. You can get water in the cylinders when a head gasket goes but it's not a huge amount. Like posted above first places to look along with a corroded head. Just replaced this head with a huge hole in the exhaust port.

themaxxx

Cadet

Yes, my gut feeling was up through the exhaust. I don't have a thorough understanding how the risers operate but I'll google it. To my mind its the only way that MUCH water could make it in...but Im not a marine mech.

alldodge

Staff member

I'm leaning toward exhaust manifolds/risers then go for exhaust flappers

themaxxx

Cadet

Flappers make total sense....now to figure out where they're at.